Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Kim S. asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

What is the meaning of the Japanese words "Fukushima" and "Dai-ichi"?

With the world focused on the emergency occurring in the Japanese nuclear power plant, the words "Fukushima Daiichi" have been on nearly every news report. I have discovered "Fukushima" is a common Japanese surname, but I still don't know the meaning of the words. Thanks for your help - I am sure there are many people in the world who are wondering the same question.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Actually, the area where the nuclear power plant is located is in the Fukushima prefecture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukushima_Prefecture

While 福島 (fukushima) does indeed mean "good-fortune island" like what the others say, and you can also find some Japanese people with Fukushima as their surname, in the context of the news reports you've been reading, it refers to Fukushima prefecture where the power plant is located.

In Japanese news reports, one would find this: 福島第一原子力発電所 (Fukushima Daiichi genryoku hatsudenshou) - which basically means ---> Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant No. 1.

The Daiichi (第一) is kinda like how the Japanese say No. 1

If they want to say No. 2 / second, they would say Daini (第二).

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

About Fukushima, I think the word meaning is maybe, "Good luck island" or maybe "Happiness island" or maybe "Good fortune island".

But asctually that is just a place(pref.) name and not an island.

About Daiichi, you should know somethng that Dai means No.

And also if you know Japanese numeric numbers, then you will know all meaning.

Ichi = 1

Ni = 2

San = 3

Yon or Shi = 4

Go = 5

Roku = 6

Nana or Shichi = 7

Hachi = 8

Kyuu(Sound like Que) = 9

Jyuu(Sound like Jue) = 10

About over ten, it is more easy way.

Jyuu ichi = 11

Jyuu ni = 12

and so on.

Ni jyuu ichi = 21

Ni jyuu ni = 22

and so on

So that San jyuu ichi , Yon jyuu ichi...... easy huh?

Therefor Dai ichi means No. 1.

BTW, Daichi (not Daiichi) means Earth or ground.

Source(s): A Japanese
  • ?
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

Japanese Word For Island

• 1 decade ago

Daiichi=Earth

Fukushima=good-fortune island

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Fukushima means 'Good fortune island'

Daiichi means 'firstly'

• ?
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

"fukushima" means "fortunate island" (no kidding).

"daiichi" means "no. 1". The second reactor is daini, no.2, the third one daisan.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

peesh = smeckle okay i gotta learn ya people: in Sicilian we say pisholini (hence peesh) smeckle is the Yiddish version referring to the male member

• 1 decade ago

It's the place where this disaster is.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.