Ordering a macbook pro need help deciding on hard drive?

Im in the process of ordering a 17inch macbook pro and need it for school (web design and interactive media) Im not sure what type of hard drive to get or if I should just stay with the standard. So heres the options:

Your MacBook Pro comes standard with a 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive. Choose a hard drive with a faster speed for greater performance. Or you can choose a solid-state drive that offers enhanced durability.

Learn more

The larger the capacity (in gigabytes, or GB) of your hard drive, the more space is available to store your files and applications. A typical application today may take 10 to 50 megabytes (MB); photos may take up about 2-4MB each; graphics files can occupy more than 100MB; and video files are often many gigabytes in size.

MacBook Pro also offers an optional 128GB, 256GB, or 512GB solid-state drive, which has no moving parts for enhanced durability.

All drives come formatted in the Mac OS Extended file format for efficient storage of your data.

Important note: For hard drive capacity measurements, 1GB = 1 billion bytes; actual formatted capacity less.

750GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 RPM

500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 RPM

128GB Solid State Drive [Add $90.00]

256GB Solid State Drive [Add $450.00]

512GB Solid State Drive [Add $990.00]

I have no problem with adding $99 to the price but the upgrade options for $450 and $990 is pushing it for me unless you really think its necessary and please explain why you think I should get what you recommend. Thank you. If you are knowledgable about the other upgrade options I would appreciate input on those too.

• Damian
    Best Answer

There is no technology that is better, they all offer tradeoffs of one kind or another.

Web design will not be impacted by the hard drive you choose, but for "interactive media", well, it depends what that media is.

If you are going to be working with video, storage space is the biggest concern, if you are going to be working with audio, drive speed can be important (on complex projects like multitrack recordings).

I work with audio so I would choose the 500 gb serial ata @ 7200 (faster access speed)

if you are going to work with video choose the 7500 gb serial ata drive.

Solid state drives are in their infancy and while they may be faster (only for certain types of operations) its not that much faster, certainly not a thousand dollars worth of faster speed.

The Solid State Drive is quieter, a little faster, uses less energy, is immune to magnets, and is more resilient against physical damage. However, it is immensely more expensive and doesn't offer as much room. If you are generally a careful person the Serial ATA HDD should be perfectly sufficient, and as a film student I think you will benefit from the extra space. Remember to buy an external drive for backup!

Solid State Drive drives read and write data faster, but they are more expensive and smaller. Also there are no moving parts... would probably allow the battery to last longer.

u should just get a normal ata drive its not like the solid one is going to extremely fast

get the 500gb

don't think you can finish half of it with web and media

these two subjects don't need that much speed

and if some way, you finish the hard drive, you can get an external

1 tb for 114.00 tb = 1000 gb

so think about it