Hussey asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

My new puppy seems traumatized?

I just got a new puppy (German Shepherd) she is 10 weeks old. I have a kennel that I put her in for the night and during the day whenever I have to go out. She is crying all night and I'm sure during the day too, I think she is getting traumatized by this. I have other dogs and have had no problem at all with them. I only do while they are pups when they are most likely to get into something that could hurt them. Any suggestions on what I could do to make her feel better, I have a blanket in there and also a little stuffed animal. At her age running the house is not an option and need her to get past this ASAP.

I am home 90% of the time so it is not an all day, everyday thing just sporadic and temporary

Sorry didn't mention that the kennel is really a crate and its inside the house, actually my dining room, would never leave a pup outside.

Favorite Answer

"My new puppy seems traumatized" isn't a question. And there is no QUESTION MARK anywhere in your text!

You have other dogs, yet can't house-train, can't use them to provide good behaviours for her to mimic??? (My last 4-5 generations of GSDs trained themselves to lie down as soon as I sat, just by copying their elders.)

My last pup was paper trained the afternoon she came in side at 8½ weeks, and she had the run of the house 24/7 (apart from closed lounge & guest-room). NO "accidents". It took her a little longer to accept that dogs are not allowed in my never-shut bedroom, so on 5 mornings I had to look in the passage for the aromatic sock she had been unable to resist stealing while I was boringly asleep.

She developed a taste for the plastic in the connector of the tv aerial that lay across the floor of my den. So I shut the den door for a few nights. She discovered that the toilet roll UNrolls - and IT GRABS YOUR LEGS!!! So I had to shut the toilet door for a few nights (but until her last month of life she loved tossing & chasing the cardboard cores of emptied toilet rolls!)

So at night you need to shut doors of rooms where there are live wires. Ditto hoses. But during the day you pay attention to her interests, encouraging her good ones and discouraging her bad ones. Training happens ALL the time you are both awake.

Do NOT expect such a young pup to be able to hold on all night - and how else than complaining can she "request permission to go toilet" if you've locked her in that solitary confinement punishment cell? Shut crates are GREAT at forcing a pup to break its instinct to get away from its nest before piddle-pooing. And once that nest-instinct is broken it can take MONTHS before you can trust the pooch loose in the house.

In addition, a young pup needs to be able to exercise its fast-growing bones & muscles the whole time it is awake. So I am VERY against crates shut for more than a few minutes at a time, either while travelling or to protect pup from a visiting brat. DON'T make the crate a tight fit for her.

If you INSIST on shutting her in her crate, then it should be beside your bed, facing you, so that she can hear you throughout the night. Preferably close enough for you to wiggle a few fingers through the holes in the door, when she craves comforting.

She SHOULD regard her OPEN crate as a safe "cave" where she can sleep, confident that enemies can approach her from only in front, where her teeth offer some protection. If she DOESN'T feel that way about her crate, move it around the house to always be in the same room as you are in. Train her that it WON'T be shut ion her, by such as walking her in front of the crate, showing her a tidbit or a favourite toy, then tossing it in. Praise her when she goes in. As soon as she swallows the tidbit, call her to Come, and praise her when she turns & comes. Praise her extra if she brings the toy back out to you. Reward her with pats/rubs on spots she likes. I don't know how long SHE will take to accept that it is okay to go in because you aren't usually going to close the door behind her.

If you are OFTEN away from home you should have a roofed security run, at least 4m/12ft between gate & raised sleeping box, in your well-fenced back yard. When you have to leave home she goes in there with a gnaw bone (eg. some oxtail or sheep spine) & water. There she can experience the scents, sights & sounds of the ever-changing environment.

I hope you are well through the familiarisation-&-confidence-building experiences misleadingly known as "socialisation", that need to be done by the time she reaches 13 weeks. And that you are already booked in to a proper training club's weekly classes, ready to start when she is 18-22 weeks old.

◙ Add http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/The_GSD_Source to your browser's Bookmarks or Favorites so that you can easily look up such as rescue groups, feeding, vaccinations, worming, clubs, neutering, diseases, genetics.

◙ To ask about GSDs, join some of the 400+ YahooGroups dedicated to various aspects of living with them. Each group's Home page tells you which aspects they like to discuss, and how active they are. Unlike YA, they are set up so that you can have an ongoing discussion with follow-up questions for clarification. Most allow you to include photos in your messages.

Les P, owner of GSD_Friendly: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/GSD_Friendly

"In GSDs" as of 1967

Do "Crate Games" by Susan Garret with her it is a DVD you can buy. It will help for sure.

Where is the kennel at night I had my new pup in his kennel about 5 feet from my bed and as soon as the light went out he goes to sleep right away.

I have a german sherpherd from a puppy. They get frightened because they want their mother. You shouldn't really be putting a puppy in a kennel over night. She needs warmth and affection until shes old enough to go outside.

She most likely will be crying and shaking not getting any sleep if you put her in a kennel at 10 weeks old. She honestly needs mothering at this stage.

Is there not even a pen she can go in inside? Plus german sherpherds can be trained very well and toilet trained fast.

I would suggest keeping her inside until shes big and old enough to not get frightened by being alone. :)

Puppies tend to cry when they're left on their own at night, it's because they miss their mother, or they're scared, or they're hungry, amongst other possible reasons. Keep her in the house in a pen or a cage at night so she's warm. She might still cry but if so you shouldn't give her too much attention because of it, she needs to learn that at night she sleeps alone. If she doesn't learn now she never will. Give her lots of love and attention in the day and she'll soon get over it.

Source(s): Used to have a puppy.

puppies are usually like this when they are first adopted into a new home whithout their mother with a new owner that theyve never met before. their cage/crate is supposed to make them feel safer but they will still cry. put a blanket over the cage so that its covered. puppies feel more protected with that. i dont know how long it takes for them to get used to a new home but the other dogs might scare her.

Keep the pup close to you for the first few weeks. Gradually it will grow up and u can move it somewhere else.

the only secure way i can work out doing this is with a muzzle and with a professional animal behaviorist helping you. any incorrect way may well be too risky to your female and every physique else too on the brink of her. i might hate to work out you're taking the suggestion of somebody on the internet, pass at it on my own, and finally end up in a tragic subject. in case you haven't any longer have been given the money for a professional, then i might initiate saving and interior the interim save the muzzle on whilst different canines would be around. For her secure practices besides as different canines. Edit to characteristic: If the class is geared noticeably to socialization, and you have talked to the running shoes there incredibly approximately your dogs's problem, admitting that she has tried to chew different canines in the previous, and that they are happy with letting one in each of those dogs into one in each of their training, that must be a good direction to pass. in spite of the undeniable fact that, i can't see a preparation 'midsection' being mushy (criminal duty-clever) with allowing a biting dogs right into a classification, with or sans muzzle. Nor might I anticipate different vendors interior the class being to extremely joyful whilst they understand a biting dogs is in a classification with their advantageous domestic canines who're nevertheless studying their manners. which may well be effortlessly obvious whilst your dogs enters with a muzzle, it may well be a tricky element to maintain secret. Plus your dogs does not choose exposure to extra misbehaving puppies who nevertheless might desire to check play manners, he desires advantageous reviews with precise socialized canines who will in no way be positioned off by using a traumatic aggressive dogs like Sasha, yet be precise submissive and understand whilst to back down. a extra effective answer may well be to ask if the midsection has deepest training with a coach prepared to usher of their very very own dogs to artwork one on one with yours, then graduate to a socialization classification as Sasha turns into extra confident.

could you have her in the house in a cage? leave a radio on for her or the tv? thats what i do.

aawww you have taste i love German Shepperds. anyway,i think its just because she is young and she needs someone to be there for her. she will grow out of it soon.