What is the cheapest way of determining whether my tap water is safe?

I feel that my tap water isn't good since it's harder to drink and I don't know if I feel good drinking it. In contrast, this plastic water bottle company makes me feel very good. My mom agrees. It doesn't matter if I need knowledge of chemistry to analyze whatever, I just want to spend as little money as possible.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Favorite Answer

The cheapest way of determining whether your tap water is safe is to filter it with those Brita-types of jugs and filters. It will filter the heavy metals and other impurities. You should notice that your water is much clearer and will taste better.

The filter and jug is less than $20 and will last you about 2 months before you need to change the filter.

Do a taste test compared to bottled water and see how you feel. If you really feel the need to drink bottled water, get yourself a cooler with one of the keg-sized jugs. That's the way to go (I use those at the lake).

• Peter

Buy a PH kit from your nearest Pet store and test the water. A high alkaline or acid water is bad.