Jeep - hard starting and intermittent stalling?

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee. When the engine is cold, it will start and stall with in a few seconds. It seems to be getting worse. If I touch the gas it will stall immediately. It will do this 3 to 10 times before it will catch and run properly. Once the engine is warm, it starts great. Intermittently it will stall... show more 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee. When the engine is cold, it will start and stall with in a few seconds. It seems to be getting worse. If I touch the gas it will stall immediately. It will do this 3 to 10 times before it will catch and run properly. Once the engine is warm, it starts great.
Intermittently it will stall for 3 - 10 seconds on the freeway and then start again. It will usually only do this once - on a 30k commute, and the engine is warm.
History: Replaced the fuel pump about a year ago. Similar symptoms started about 5 months after that, only the fuel gauge would quit as well. Replaced part of the wiring harness to the fuel pump and all was well for about 2 months. Now the problem has started again, but the fuel gauge works fine.
I am thinking either another short in the wiring harness, or crank shaft position sensor. I am open to any suggestions though.
Also, why does stepping on the gas cause it to stall immediately?
Update: You may be right. After reading your answer, I pulled the IAC and cleaned it up. It fired up right away and idled better. I will see what happens in the morning.