Shelly
Lv 4
Shelly asked in PetsBirds · 10 years ago

what would cause this?

I just got two indian ringnecks, today i realized the female is bleeding at the very edge of her wings both wings. I have added corstarch to them to stop the bleeding and am watching her carefully. she is a wild ringneck and is in her cage with a male. Now the people i got her from have her wings cliped could the bleeding be caused by improper clipping? i have checked for a broken blood feather have not found any seems to be a flesh injury. she was also housed in a very small cage with her male could that of injured her wings? she seems active and alert there dropping look great her wings are drooping and we are scheduled for a vet on Wednesday as i have no money till then or it would be sooner.

so the injury is on the very end of her wing seems to be just flesh not bone and isn't bleeding at the moment. what would cause this type of injury thank you.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It sounds like it could be any one of the things you mentioned. If the person clipping her wings didn't know what they were doing, that could certainly be a problem. Also the small cage, if she was stressed before she came to you and flapped around inside it, could be the cluprit.

The big thing at the moment is to make sure she has stopped bleeding and doesn't start again. Continued bleeding is obviously very dangerous for her health. Get her do the vet as soon as you can and keep an eye on her in the meantime. There's obviously no guarantees, but as long as she doesn't start bleeding again she'll probably be fine!

I hope this helps!

Robert Lewis

www.ringobirds.com

• 10 years ago

That is caused from flapping her wings in a small area, in which her wings beat against something hard, like the side of the cage. She was probably frightened and tried to get out, hitting her wings repeatedly. Make sure she has plenty of space and don't scare her too much until she heals up. She will be fine.

• 10 years ago

the male may be nipping her,seperate them for a week or so and see if the bleeding stops if not it is not that and may be getting caught on something sharp in the cage :)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.