kids and swords, good or bad?

when my husband was a wee little lad he had this facination with swords. His mother however did everything in her power to make him believe swords were evil and should never be allowed near children.

When we found out i was pregnant and had to find a home, one of the first things we bought for our apartment was a sword to hang on the wall. Well, when my MIL came over later that week she flipped. How dare we have a sword on the wall with a baby on the way. Over the years my husband has expanded his collection and our children handle the swords quite often. They don't have access to them unless we are there to supervise. They are only allowed to swing the little ones inside and never if someone else is in the room with them (but i can see them from here). Sometimes we let them bring them outside to show their friends, but again, not without us there.

However, to this day, my MIL complains and argues that its totally unsafe to have swords in the house with young kids. It doesn't matter how often we tell her they are out of reach, she won't give it up.

So what do y'all think? are swords really an issue?

most are sharp, two not so much

Favorite Answer

Keeping swords in the house are fine they are as dangrouse as knives, guns, sharp sticks, so forth.

If they show alot of interest in the swords I would recomend for them to learn how to use a sword.

Learning how to use the sword will help make it so they are safer with a sword.

If you have a interest in swords learn how to use the sword, and it will be much much safer.

I've learned kenjustu, Two hand broad sword and fencing.

I'm a firm beliver in the more knowlige the better :) If you only have to little of knowlige you an be a danger to yourself and others.

Normally with places that teach how to use swords, they also teach wisdom when you use a sword and that swords aren't toys.

Source(s): Life

In my house there was ten children, we all grew up with guns and swords. My dad was a collector of both. We were taught how to use them young but also how to be safe with them.

In my opinion as long as the child is taught about them, shown how t handle them and supervised then it is fine. I now live with my partner and daughter we have swords on display.

I don't agree with allowing them to take them and show their friends though, that's just my opinion I'd only let the showing happen I'm the house.

Swords aren't really an issue, as long as you teach the kids to respect the swords and the rules regarding them while growing up. MIL sounds a little neurotic, sorry about that, lol!

Anything the house can be dangerous. My son almost lost an eye because he got hit in the face with a Mickey Mouse doll that had battery pack hidden inside of it.

I think you can't keep kids in a bubble forever- and if your children are mature enough to follow your rules for the swords, you haven't done anything wrong.

Source(s): My dad kept a loaded shotgun in the house- showed me where it was and how to use it *gasp*

No, not really. Once the kids learn how to properly handle them, they are no more dangerous than the knives in the kitchen drawer.

It's a very nice form of natural selection.

nerf swords are awesome, hard and sharp ones are great towards the drs down payment for his boat..