♂ Is this too silly of a name?

Is the name Dorian Grey (first and middle) usable? (I prefer the spelling Grey.)

• Favorite Answer

I don't really like it. I suppose there is good precedent for giving one's child both a first and middle name after the same person (think George Washington Carver or Martin Luther King, Jr.), but I definitely prefer having a first-middle combo that is a bit more one-of-a-kind -- because my child isn't simply the reincarnation of a historical or literary figure. So I avoid combos like Henry James Lastname or William Blake Lastname or, yes, even Dorian Grey Lastname.

For a while, I considered calling a daughter Clara Josephine (as a way of using the "Jo" from my own middle name), but, honestly, the fact that composer Clara Schumann was Clara Josephine Schumann turned me off that combo a bit.

I do have a cousin named Jesse James Lastname -- though I love the name Jesse, and though James is after his father, I think the combination of the two feels kind of ridiculous.

Sorry.

Its too much.

Dorian with a different middle name would be fine.

Its like calling your kid Harry Potter Smith or Edward Cullen Smith. Just too much!

Dorian & Grey on their own are lovely names. Together your setting your child up for ridicule. Plus Dorian Gray wasnt exactly likeable, gorgeous & sexy yes, but also a narcisstic & soul selling bas*ard!!

I don't think it would be too bad, since hardly anyone would know his middle name anyway. Plus, I've always though their was something kind of cool about literary baby names :) I prefer the spelling Grey too, since it's the normal spelling where I live (UK); I plan on having it as a middle for my first son to honour my maiden name, Gray.

I think it would set a kid up for a lot of teasing and ridicule. Not to mention Dorian Gray wasn't exactly a likeable character. He was a narcissist who sold his soul so he could basically live an eternal life of debauchery.

• ?

Yes, naming kids after well known literary characters can backfire, there are two boys in my kids classes, one in my sons is named Jackson Pollack (first and middle) and the other in my daughters class is James Dean (first and middle) and they constantly get little jokes and puns made at them. Naming a child after someone who went insane and started having sex with everyone and doing drugs and sold his soul before finally killing himself is not a good connection.

I would use one or the other but not both

I like both names but couldn't use them together and definitely prefer the spelling Grey (probably because I'm from the UK )

How about Greyson ?

• No, not silly but i prefer Darian, Gray and Grey r both good.!

Source(s): Isobel,!plz answer my name Questions!!

Dorian is fine. It's not silly.

It's good here are some other good first names --> Ivan, Antonio, Jose, Darian, Elvis, Marco, ect.

• Nicola

Either would be fine on its own, but together, it comes across as rather pretentious.

Source(s): The Picture of Dorian Gray...