Shelly
Shelly asked in PetsBirds · 10 years ago

hand feeding lovebirds question?

I recently Pulled 4 baby Lovebirds from there parents the oldest being nearly 3 weeks old. i had left the youngest of 5 with the parents as it was nearly a week differece of hatch date. now my questions is, is it normal for babies this young not to cry for food. with my other clutch I would normally sleep with them beside my bed so in the morning they would wake me for feeding time. I normally try to stick to a scheduled of 6am, 12pm, 6pm , 11pm with some time there would be extra feeding depending on the babies I would always check on there crying. now these babies I have pulled i have not herd a sound from them they have had 4 feeding and have been difficult not taken much food. besides that they are active and love to move around and explore when I'm trying to feed them ( they are more interested in there surroundings then food) poop is regular and consistent.

so is it normal they don't cry for food? and any tips on getting them to eat more.? thank you

yes they are being fed extract. I have hand fed before but the babies have all been vocal from the start. so that is why i was worried thank you,.

• Tammy
    Favorite Answer

I pull my babies at 3 weeks and it takes a bit for them to get used to handfeeding since the parents did it since birth. I do not believe they cry at first for food. As long as you are feeding them on a regular schedule and they are eating good when you do feed them, no worries. They will come around after they explore their new surroundings and get used to you feeding them and should eat more and bob. I hope you are feeding them Exact baby formula or some other sort of baby parrot food. This is very important for their growth as not using the correct nutrition, they could develop Rickets which can occur when not fed properly during growth. Good Luck! Hope this helps.

Source(s): Lovebird Breeder