Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 9 years ago

It has been said that you judge a society by how it treats its weakest members How are we doing?

Western culture national culture -- any culture all cultures any society all societies

You do not judge them on how they treat the best wealthiest and strongest within the society -- You judge it by the weakest

How any society treats those with the least ability to defend themselves -- the most unable to attack or repel -- the smallest in number the minority the helpless

-------------------

You can judge a society by the way it treats its animals." - Gandhi

Our society must make it right and possible for old people not to fear the young or be deserted by them, for the test of a civilization is the way that it cares for its helpless members.~Pearl S. Buck (1892-1973), My Several Worlds [1954].

The test of the morality of a society is what it does for its children.

~Dietrich Bonhoeffer

A decent provision for the poor is the true test of civilization.

~Samuel Johnson, Boswell: Life of Johnson

The most certain test by which we judge whether a country is really free is the amount of security enjoyed by minorities.~John E. E. Dalberg, Lord Acton, The History of Freedom in Antiquity, [1877].

"...the moral test of government is how that government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly; those who are in the shadows of life; the sick, the needy and the handicapped. " ~ Last Speech of Hubert H. Humphrey

"A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Ghandi

"Any society, any nation, is judged on the basis of how it treats its weakest members -- the last, the least, the littlest."

~Cardinal Roger Mahony, In a 1998 letter, Creating a Culture of Life

The greatness of America is in how it treats its weakest members: the elderly, the infirm, the handicapped, the underprivileged, the unborn. ~Bill Federer

"A society will be judged on the basis of how it treats its weakest members and among the most vulnerable are surely the unborn and the dying,"

~Pope John Paul II

----------------------------------

There is not just ONE group that belongs to weakest -- There are many groups that define the weakest memebers -- helpless weak minority without the ability to defend --- takes in a lot of people groups and so on --

The weakest -- are a well populated group

How are we doing as a society judging it upon this basis ?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Best Answer

We are treating our weakest members like scum. Instead of giving them a helping hand, we are giving them a handout. We have been encouraging dysfunctional life style for the last 100 years. The segment of population that is victimized by this horrendous social engineering has created a permanent dependent class that can be depended on to vote for more of the same.

• ?
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

Our poor are rich by the rest of the worlds standards. True help of the poor would be to make them want to take care of themselves. The whole teach a man to fish thing.

• 3 years ago

besides the fact that I agree we could desire to be compassionate to those much less fortunate I additionally very strongly experience it may no longer be achieved the way our government handles social classes. Social classes ought to be geared to requiring purely approximately all and sundry to paintings. because it relatively is now welfare reform purely moved tens of millions of lazy human beings to SSI the place there is not any time decrease. I easily have seen very few people who can't paintings in some way and maximum could have a a strategies better self image in the event that they did make a contribution something to society. Social classes ought to purely grant the backside necessities. a lot of human beings stay plenty better on our social classes then they should. The working unfavorable (those earning minimum salary or close) stay with much less then people who settle directly to sit down down on their duffs. nutrition stamps ought to in no way be used to purchase issues like lobster, pop, candy, chips, etc. nutrition stamps weren't meant for human beings to stay severe on the hog yet to stay till they could get a job and purchase their very own nutrition. They shouldn't consume better then people who're procuring this equipment! Charitable donations as a call ought to have greater selection as to how the money is spent - if a church that gets donations comes to a decision to purchase rib eye steaks for his or her unfavorable then it relatively is advantageous with me however the government shouldn't enable it with taxpayer funds. i comprehend many taxpayers who can't have adequate funds costly meals yet they nevertheless pay taxes. those human beings should not be pressured to grant funds to somebody else who lives better then they do!!

• 6 years ago

I disagree in that prisoners ( Not POW"S) are forced into a permanent second class citizenship where they are put in a position where often they have nothing else to lose and can never rise above.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

I heard the quote as how it treats it's prisoners & elderly.

Don't know who said it, but obviously, there are many with a horse in this race, (some have two)

Prisoners? A+ and rising

Elderly? B- and dropping fast

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Mathew 25: 31-46 bro.

• Obesity is a major problem with America's poor.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Poor people get a ton of stuff free like medical care, housing, food, phones, money. I think we're doing pretty well.

• 9 years ago

Well, considering we have the richest poor people in the world...

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

pretty low on the scale

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.