How to deal with local Dining/Restaurant culture?

I'm a Professional Cook who would love to open the kind of place you see on the show Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives (especially a Southern BBQ and comfort food type place). Unfortunately, I know it would be a battle against the chain establishments and not just the fast foods like McDonald's or KFC but also the Montana's, Kelsey's, Boston Pizza or even Tim Horton's and I just don't get it. What draws people to these restaurants that have crappy food and aren't even inexpensive these days? Or to the same boring breakfast diner that's serving the same predictable food that every other breakfast diner is serving?

Favorite Answer

As a former chef myself and having worked in a few places that did not fare well like a take-out Seafood business, sort of like a pizza delivery but with $30 dinners and 3 lb lobsters at $50+.

For what your looking at doing it is best to do a market study, this will cost you a couple of hundred dollars to print up a small questionnaire, a stamped return envelope and it may only result is a few coming back, but it would give the area, city and neighbourhood incite for this place, also is there anything like it where your looking, here in Toronto we have 5-8 types like your idea, if it is a takeout place it may fare better as you can concentrate on the food, and if it catches on then a full service restaurant down the line, if you want to pick my brain, just drop me a line through my profile and I will help were I can, Good Luck with your venture.

People just go there for fast service and cheap food, trust me, if everyone had the money to eat out at a fancy restaurant, in a couple years, people would be saying "McWho?".

do roman as romans do