Christians, do you agree with a Muslim answer that Eloh(in Genesis) and Allah are the same?

Of course, we know it's not 'Eloh' at all, so that's a start.

How else would you answer biblically if possible, logically if not so possible.

• SK
    Favorite Answer

The Hebrew name for god in Genesis is Elohim אֱלהִים, which is actually plural and properly translates as "gods." (I am not here to debate the reason for this - think on it as you like.) The singular is Eloah אֱלהִ, not Eloh. Eloah comes from the Semitic "il" or "'el," אֱל, which means "god" and can be seen in all sorts of Biblical names - Nathaniel ("God has given"), Daniel ("Justice [from] God"), etc. The "h" הִ at the end probably came later, linguistically, and is part of a common Semitic trick to expand two-letter roots into three-letter roots. Because Arabic and Hebrew are closely related languages, we can easily write the three letters in Arabic characters, إله. We would write it this way without knowing what that means in Arabic. But it turns out that that is the Arabic word for "god," "ʾilāh." To make it the one God, the Koran calls him "The God," not just "god," and adding the Arabic "al" for "the" at the beginning makes this "Allah." So simply linguistically, these are clearly closely related.

A different and altogether more interesting question is whether Allah is explicitly meant to be the same as the god of the Christians and Jews. I think the answer to that also has to be categorically yes. The Koran has stories of Isaac and Abraham, stories about the birth of Jesus and the sufferings of Mary, stories about the angel Gabriel, etc. The god of the Koran has done many of the same things (with variations) as the god of the gospels and the god of the torah. But with respect to creation specifically (relevant to your question about Genesis), there are both similarities and differences. The Koran in sura 11 says, "throned above the waters, he made the heavens and

earth in six days," which sure does sound a lot like Genesis. God in the Koran is repeatedly referred to as "God, who made heaven and earth, and separated light from darkness," which is a pretty exact summary of the first two Biblical days of creation. On the other hand, the second sura has man created in paradise, not on earth (although - is the Garden of Eden on earth? could it also be described as a paradise?). More damningly, the creation of man in the Koran is very different from the creation of man from dust (or clay) in Genesis. So while they are meant to be the same, perhaps they aren't.

Yet a third question, then, has to do with whether they ARE the same. This is a question of belief, pure and simple. If you don't believe it's possible that god could have revealed himself to Christians via the Bible and Muslims via the Koran, for example, then you simply cannot believe that both are the same real true god. You might believe, though, that they are both the same god, one of whose story has been misrecorded. But these now are muddy waters that don't admit of sound answers.

• The two words mean the same, although the correct spelling of the Hebrew word is eloah. In the Aramaic portions of the book of Daniel, it is elah, and in Arabic it is ilah. (Alllah is al-ilah, "THE God.")

Hebrew and Arabic are both Semitic languages and have similar words that mean "God."

Judaism and Islam are both "Abrahamic" religions, and share certain concepts about God, as well as different concepts. Jews claim religious descent from Abraham's son Isaac; Arabs claim religious descent from Abraham's son Ishmael.

So the traditions come together on some points, and diverge on others.

Source(s): Research
  • Proof : A Jew explains why Allah is the one and only God

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65zyICBKBPI

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=related

Is Allah Moon God? What is the Black Box

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB81iSY11V8

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=related

Roman Catholic Bishop says Christians Should Call God Allah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgJ0s1wNEZc

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=related

JEHOVAH DOES NOT APPEAR IN THE ORIGINAL GREEK BIBLE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHhyu61f-wo

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=related

It's simply the word 'god' in two different languages. Elohim is Hebrew and Allah is Arabic.

Christianity and Islam originated from Judaism.

No - The Lord God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob would NEVER deny Christ as His only begotten Son, as allah does.

'you shall not surely die' - Liar! [Gen3:4-Rev20:2]

'Abraham offered Ishmael' - ditto! [said allah-Rev13:1]

• Nazim

I hope you get a good answer. I'll be looking out. Thank you

The promised son was Isaac and not Ishmael as portrayed by those that oppose the sonship of Jesus Christ !!!

Jesus claimed to be God - John 8:24; 8:56-59 (see Exodus 3:14); John 10:30-33

Jesus is called God - John 1:1,14; 20:28; Col. 2:9; Titus 2:13; Heb. 1:8

Jesus is the image of the invisible God - Heb. 1:3

Jesus abides forever - Heb. 7:24

Jesus created all things - John 1:1-3; Col. 1:15-17

Jesus is before all things - John 1:1-3; Col. 1:17;

Jesus is eternal - John 1:1,14; 8:58; Micah 5:1-2

Jesus is honored the same as the Father - John 5:23

Jesus is prayed to - Acts 7:55-60; 1 Cor. 1:2 with Psalm 116:41; (John 14:14)

Jesus is worshipped - Matt. 2:2,11; 14:33; John 9:35-38; Heb. 1:6

Jesus is omnipresent - Matt. 18:20; 28:20

Jesus is with us always - Matt. 28:20

Jesus is our only mediator between God and ourselves - 1 Tim. 2:5

Jesus is the guarantee of a better covenant - Heb. 7:22; 8:6

Jesus said, "I AM the Bread of Life" - John 6:35,41,48,51

Jesus said, "I AM the Door" - John 10:7,9

Jesus said, "I AM the Good Shepherd" - John 10:11,14

Jesus said, "I AM the Way the Truth and The Life" - John 14:6

Jesus said, "I AM the Light of the world" - John 8:12; 9:5; 12:46; Luke 2:32

Jesus said, "I AM the True Vine" - John 15:1,5

Jesus said, "I AM the Resurrection and the Life" - John 11:25

Jesus said, "I AM the First and the Last" - Rev. 1:17; 2:8; 22:13

Jesus always lives to make intercession for us - Heb. 7:25

Jesus cleanses from sin - 1 John 1:9

Jesus cleanses us from our sins by His blood - Rev. 1:5; Rom. 5:9

Jesus forgives sins - Matt. 9:1-7; Luke 5:20; 7:48

Jesus saves forever - Matt. 18:11; John 10:28; Heb. 7:25

Muslims say that Jesus never said He was God, well here is proof that He said that He was !!!

Mark 14:60-65 (New International Version)

60Then the high priest stood up before them and asked Jesus, "Are you not going to answer? What is this testimony that these men are bringing against you?" 61But Jesus remained silent and gave no answer.

Again the high priest asked him, "Are you the Christ,[a] the Son of the Blessed One?"

62"I am," said Jesus. "And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven."

63The high priest tore his clothes. "Why do we need any more witnesses?" he asked. 64"You have heard the blasphemy. What do you think?"

They all condemned him as worthy of death. 65Then some began to spit at him; they blindfolded him, struck him with their fists, and said, "Prophesy!" And the guards took him and beat him.

Heavenly Father,

I want to know You as the true and living God. I ask you to forgive me and cleanse me from everything I’ve done wrong. Change my heart, and give me a new life. I turn from false gods and submit my life to your Son Jesus Christ as my only Savior and Lord. Fill me with the power of Your Holy Spirit.

Thank You, Lord Jesus, for paying the penalty for my sins and giving me a relationship of friendship with God as my Heavenly Father !!!

• Moi

Of course not

Psa 83:14 As the fire burneth a wood, and as the flame setteth the mountains on fire;

Psa 83:15 So persecute them with thy tempest, and make them afraid with thy storm.

Psa 83:16 Fill their faces with shame; that they may seek thy name, O LORD.

Psa 83:17 Let them be confounded and troubled for ever; yea, let them be put to shame, and perish:

Psa 83:18 That [men] may know that thou, whose name alone [is] JEHOVAH, [art] the most high over all the earth.

No. The bible and the Quran contradict each other. Both could not be from the same source.