Portal 2 keeps crashing on me?
I start the game on steam, i have windows 7, I have one of the best computers on the market... But portal 2 crashes all the time at the same place: after the source logo. how do I fix that, i waited 4 hours for it to download and payed 44$ for it, i say that's a scam
- Anonymous9 years agoBest Answer
Remove Bin Contents:
First of all remove the contents of Bin folder in steam installation directory. This process would help steam to verify game and re-download the DLLs. By removing contents from bin folder you can stop Portal 2 from crashing.
1. Close steam.
Double click on My computer and locate following directory:
2. Remove everything.
3. Run the Steam and Portal 2 again.
Another reason behind Portal 2 crashing can be junk data in registry database of operating system. You can clean registry by downloading some secured Registry Cleaner software as RegInOut Cleaner.
Troubleshoot Compatibility Issues:
Reinstalling Steam by applying following process can help you stop Portal 2 freezes.
1. Close Steam.
Double click on My Computer and navigate to following directory:
C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam Apps\Common\Portal 2
2. Now right click on Portal.exe.
3. Click on Troubleshoot Compatibility option.
Provide Admin Rights to CSC folder:
You can provide admin right to CSC folder through following steps.
1. Open My Computer.
2. Navigate to following directory
3. Now right click on CSC folder and select Properties.
4. Click on Security | Edit
Check following checkboxes in Allow column
a. Full Control
c. Read & Execute
d. List Folder Contents
g. Special Permissions
5. Click on OK | OK
Portal 2 crashes can also be stopped by reinstalling the Steam. Here are some steps
1. Close Steam.
2. Create new folder in the drive where Steam is installed.
3. Click on Start | Control Panel | Programs | Uninstall a Program
4. Select Steam | Uninstall
5. Follow on screen simple Wizard and reboot your machine.
6. Download fresh setup
7. Install in C:\Program Files\Steam directory.
8. Open steam and wait till it starts downloading of some files.
9. Pause download in middle after some 30 seconds.
10. Copy contents of Steam\SteamApps\Common\Portal 2 to new \Common\Portal directory.
11. Run Steam again.
12. Click Portal 2 and let the Steam to download it.
Scan System for Viruses:
Portal 2 may crash due to viruses in system. Scan your system with powerful antivirus program.