How do I convince my mom to let me buy a gun?

My dad is okay with the idea but mom is right strict against guns. I have told her sevral time that I have been taught gun safety and how to store guns and such, but nothing

By the way, im 17 going on 18

Favorite Answer

My mom was like that until she thought someone was breaking in one night lol. At that time I was 17 and my dad had just died and left me with his .357 magnum Ruger Blackhawk revolver as well as the .22lr Marlin 60 rifle that he had bought me when I was 15., He always kept the guns in his room locked up but when he passed away my mom said he wanted me to have them so she reluctantly gave them to me, (she's a real anti gunner from way back BTW). Then the night that the cat pushed the lamp off the end table in the living room came (Crash!!) and all I could here coming from her room was "Michael get that expletive gun and shoot that SOB." After I went out .357 in hand to the living room to discover the cat as the culprit I laught and told mom to come out as it was only the family pet and not the big bad bogie man she was imagining it was lol. Since then I have had no problem with these guns or any other of the 11 guns I have bought since that night 11 going on 12 years ago.

I just bought my own home and am about to move in after settlement in another few weeks. When I do I am only bringing one of my pistols (45acp glock 21sf) and one of my shotguns (Mossy 500 tactical 12 gauge) for home protection. I decided to leave the rest of the guns at moms as she has a security system and the nabourhood is a little batter then ware I am moving. I even brought her to the range and taught her how to shoot my 40S&W Glock 23 for her to use as home protection now that I am not going to be living there anymore.

That said I don’t think you need a scary situation to change your mothers mind. You and your dad should bring her to a local shooting range in order to get her to realize that guns aren’t the big evil that she thinks (and has been told by the media and liberal left) they are. Seeing guns being used for lawful recreational purposes and not just the violent things she sees on TV may be enough to change her mind on the subject. Moreover her seeing you handle guns in a safe, responsible and fun manor may help her along in this decision too.

Good luck!!

My mom was like that and still is. Only until after my parents got a divorce did I get a gun. So for me the only way to get a gun was when they go divorced. But I would much rather have them together than have 3 guns.

• Mac

Take your state's hunter safety class. Take an NRA firearms safety class, found here: http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

If after that, she still says no, then you have done all you can to change her mind with respect. By this time, you should be that much closer to moving out and living under your own rules, and the safety classes you took WILL still be very beneficial to you.

When you are of legal age, go out and buy a gun if you want one. She can't tell you what you can do when you are of legal age to do it, however she can say that your new gun is not allowed in her house, In that case, find a new house to put it in and while you are at it ... bring all your other stuff and put it in your new house as well. Before you know it, you're a grown man.

Source(s): I'm a grown man who moved out too.

I recently bought this system http://www.downloadita.it/r/rd.asp?gid=423. It teaches how to protect yourself and your family in case of violent situations or unexpected attacks from thiefs. Sometimes having a gun is just not enough.

I hope it helps

When you're 18 you are an adult and can buy a long gun from a FFL. That being said, her house her rules.

• Wait until you're 18, and move out. Then, she won't have any legal authority to say anything about the matter.

Get a job, move out, and pay your own way. Then she will have no say in the matter.

As long as you live under her roof and she is paying the bills you live by her rules.

Include this in the offer.

"Mom, if it will put your mind at ease, I'll only shoot it under Dad's supervision and when not shooting, I'll give it to Dad to keep locked up, until I move out"

Tell her that firearms teach children responsibility and not all but most people that own firearms are very responsible people.