Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsEngagements & Weddings · 10 years ago

How do I properly address wedding invitations and envelopes?

I'm not sure how to go about this. I don't have any experience in this area. I don't want to ask family because they have been giving me wrong advice along the way and there seems to be different opinions across the Internet, but you have all helped me here and seem to know your stuff.

First, the envelope:

Is handwritten okay? How about printed?

Are address labels okay or should I write/print directly on the envelope?

What if my handwriting could use some work? It doesn't have to be calligraphy or anything right? Just neatly printed?

If I invite a married couple their names would appear as Mr. and Mrs. John Smith? What about her first name? Are there other acceptable ways to do this? Like Mrs. Carol and Mr. John Smith?

Do I have to include Mr./Mrs./Ms./Miss? If so is Ms. okay for single women? So if a couple is engaged then they would be invited as Mr. John Smith and Ms. Abigail Brown? I would really prefer just John Smith and Abigail Brown if it is okay.

When I invite a family do I just address the envelope to the heads of the household or to everyone?

Then the invitation and RSVP card:

How and where do I put names on these if at all?

Would the names be written the same as on the envelope or any differences?

Anything else I'm missing?

Thank you

Favorite Answer

Okay I just did mine myself... so let me try and help.

The Envelope:

COMPLETELY your decision. Handwritten with a calligraphy pen would be nice or printed on nice labels (I printed on clear labels). You don't need to know how to write in perfect calligraphy for it to look nice.

If you are inviting a couple I did their full names. So: John & Julie Smith. That was just me, but your suggestion is fine too. I just didn't like including the Mr./Mrs./Miss and it helps you with the whole single vs. engaged, etc. thing.

If you are inviting a couple that is not married than you put separate names. So John Apple & Julie Orange.

Inviting a family I did John & Julie Smith & Family

You only put YOUR name on the invitation. Don't both putting your guests names. It's good enough on the envelope.

On the RSVP I did: A response is requested before the __th day of ____.

Then under that I had a nice cursive looking "M" with a ______________________ for them to fill out their own name. Under that I had Accept with Pleasure and then Decline with Regret with lines beside them for them to check it off.

Then I put my address on each envelope for the RSVP including postage.

I used the same font for my invitations as I did for my RSVPs.

ADD: I also did wax seals on my envelopes with a little stamp. I thought that added a nice touch. I bought the wax and stamp at Michaels.

The envelope is your choice, you can handwrite them, use labels or do a calligrapher. The this is where the titles and names of the guests are the most important. It should include their title (Mr. Dr. etc. etc. etc) and their full name (not a nickname).

If it is a couple you do not include the wife's first name. The only reason you include the woman's first name is if they are unmarried or if she has a different last name.

If you are inviting a family you address it to the parents and add "and family". If you want someone to bring a guest (for instance if someone is bringing their girlfriend/ boyfriend) you include "and guest" you do not have to include the guest's name.

You do not send invitations to people under the age of 16.

On the RSVP's, most people have an M___________________ so the guests can fill in their names. You can include their names if you want though. They do not have to be written the same as on the envelope.

A typical RSVP would say:

Please RSVP by Jan 00, 0000

M__________________________

( ) will attend ___ (number of people)

( ) regretfully decline

and then if you have dinner choices they would go after that. Don't forget to include the RSVP date.

Also, just a warning: you will have people that RSVP yes that won't show up and people that RSVP no that will show up, and people that won't RSVP at all. You can usually expect at least 75% of your invited guests to show up.

Source(s): Myself- Event Planner

1

Source(s): Paying Bills Writing http://givitry.info/WritingJobsOnline

handwritten is preferred - however,your hand writing may not be up to scratch.lots of people will say its rude,but i would rather have a printed envelope than a messily hand addressed one

direct onto the envelope - if you use labels,make it part of the scheme.there are several blogs which show how the address label was made part of it

the correct manner is mr and mrs john smith.the wife may still use her maiden name though,in which case it is mr john smith and mrs jane jones.if one has a title,such as doctor,then the person with the title goes first: dr and mr john smith

i personally don't like 'ms' unless i know the person uses it so i would use 'miss' for all unmarried female guests (but there isn't a right or wrong way,'ms' is perfectly fine if you don't know their marital status)

for engaged or living together couples,mr john smith and miss/ms jane jones is fine

either mr and mrs john smith or add 'and family'

on the RSVP card,there will be a place to put the number invited.so,if 5 people are invited,there should be 5 on the card.it is ok if it comes back with less (if you invite a family with young children,the children are included but the parents decide not to bring them) but if there is more than you put on the invites,you will need to call and tell them clearly the invite is for a certain number

your name and address go on the reply envelope

formal is to use mr and mrs etc,informal to use just their name:john and jane smith

How a lot money you make is generally up to you. How much time do you have to dedicate to writing? In addition, what responsibilities do you have? Do you have tiny youngsters at residence with you? You of program have to get the over concerns into account when deciding creating from home but with Real Writing Jobs that you will locate it right here https://tr.im/SrbQX you don’t have to fret for absolutely nothing due to the fact is, without a doubt that is a task here for you.

The pitch is that writing on the internet is in huge demand and you can earn up to $30 per site post, up to $200 day for proofreading, and so forth. In addition, when you join, you get an automated novel author as nicely as an automated concept generator and automatic article author so is impossible not to do this task.

Real Writing Jobs gives you the likelihood to change your lifestyle.

• Here is a link to Emily Post's (queen of etiquette) website that will answer all your wedding invitation & etiquette questions!

I don't have an answer.. I just wanted to say your questions cracked me up because I am going through the same thing right now! This crap is confusing!