No name asked in Social SciencePsychology · 10 years ago

Are people with Borderline personality disorder, are they attention seekers or serious suicide attempters?

I was diagnosed with BPD and there seems to be one heck of a stigma related to it.. So are people seen as attention seekers, or what exactly. I don't get it. I need someone to explain to me why there is such a negative stigma associated with it and why ? I've attempted suicide after beign raped and I 100 % wanted to die, and I've been on the brink of death, not once did I give a damn about attention

Favorite Answer

Borderline personality disorder (BPD) is a personality disorder described as a prolonged disturbance of personality function in a person (generally over the age of eighteen years, although it is also found in adolescents), characterized by depth and variability of moods. The disorder typically involves unusual levels of instability in mood; black and white thinking, or splitting; the disorder often manifests itself in idealization and devaluation episodes, as well as chaotic and unstable interpersonal relationships, self-image, identity, and behavior; as well as a disturbance in the individual's sense of self. In extreme cases, this disturbance in the sense of self can lead to periods of dissociation.

BPD splitting includes a switch between idealizing and demonizing others of causing undermining relationships with family, friends, ect, as well as various mood disturbances. This can also be coupled with self harm as well like you mentioned, and without treatment, suicide attempts are sometimes an end result. Basically for these reasons, there is a bit of a stigma related to it because it's rather unclear if there is a clear diagnosis and effective treatments to help prevent the aforestated effects of the disorder.

I'm sorry you were diagnosed with this unforunate disorder. Hopefully you have the correct medical guidance and wisdom to help you cope with this. Best of luck! If you'd ever like to talk about anything, send me a message. I'd be glad to assist you.