Feeding tube for cat with advanced fatty liver disease?

I recently moved to Hawaii and due to their quarantine requirements my brother back on the mainland has been keeping my two cats, one of which was diagnosed with advanced fatty liver disease this weekend. She lost half her body weight by the time she was taken to the vet and she's in bad shape. The vet is... show more I recently moved to Hawaii and due to their quarantine requirements my brother back on the mainland has been keeping my two cats, one of which was diagnosed with advanced fatty liver disease this weekend. She lost half her body weight by the time she was taken to the vet and she's in bad shape. The vet is keeping her for the weekend to stabilize her and said that she'll need a feeding tube surgically inserted.

I basically have to make the call to either have her put to sleep this week or go through with the surgery. I want to fight for her but not if it means prolonging a painful death. I would be relying on my brother to nurse her back to health, so I'm hoping someone can share their experiences with feeding tubes. Would the cat require around-the-clock care? Would it even do any good if she already lost that much weight? Do cats typically recover from FLD with the feeding tubes? My cat is only 5 years old and has never been sick before.