Example cases of unequal women treatment in the workplace?

Hey I'm supposed to share with the class on unequal treatment of women in the workplace with the class today, I've been able to come up on how they are mistreated but thinking some examples or cases might spice it up.

Anyone have good example/cases? Can involve anything from just given lower pay to actually being fired/ hard discriminated

Update:

Hey, no I do not believe discrimination is limited to women, however that is the topic i'm supposed to discuss.

I have examples of workers in India and China (not so much lately but very recently approx 5 years ago) being given unfair treatment, due to education, geography, economic and religious factors. Belief that women are nurturers

Obviously (as a Canadian citizen and Ontario resident) discrimination towards women is a rare concept for me, however it is not to those in less developed and developing countries. Read cases in Siberia as well but couldn't find a reliable source, thus reluctant to use.

Was hoping someone may have a reliable source which I can cite, and not personal experiences. No matter how funny they are ^^

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

In the US, we have lots of sex discrimination, sexual harassment, race and sex discrimination cases, that our enforcement agency, the EEOC, has worked on, as recently as 2009, the last reporting period. Here's a couple of cases: http://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/litigation/reports/09annr...

1) Sex Discrimination in Hiring: The EEOC filed a complaint against Mars Super Markets in Baltimore, Maryland, in Sept 2009: "EEOC alleged that a retail grocery chain with 17 locations in the Baltimore metropolitan area refused to hire female applicants for meatcutter positions because of their sex. From January 2006 through July 2008, defendant hired 28 meatcutters at its Baltimore-area stores, half for entry-level apprentice positions; all 28 hires were men. A woman employed as a deli clerk who tried in late 2006 to transfer to an apprentice meatcutter position (representing a 50% increase in her hourly rate) was discouraged by her manager, who told her the job involved heavy lifting, long periods of standing, and cold environments. She filed a number of transfer requests, and finally resigned when she received no response."

What happened: "A 3-year consent decree provided a total of $275,000 to six individuals. Defendant will extend written offers of employment for meatcutter positions to three named woman (two for apprentice positions and one as a journeyman), and make good faith efforts to place them in their preferred geographic areas within 6 months"

2) Sex Discrimination: Firing: http://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/litigation/reports/09annr...

"In EEOC v. Schott North America, Inc. (M.D. Pa. June 12, 2009), EEOC alleged that a glass and optical products manufacturer laid off female employees in the Quality Assurance (QA) Department at its Duryea, Pennsylvania plant because of their sex. In the fall of 2004, defendant decided to reduce the number of QA jobs and create a new melting line operator position. Pursuant to an agreement with the union that represents the affected employees, defendant posted an announcement for 40 melting line operator jobs and made selections based on a “skill evaluation” rather than the seniority provisions in the collective bargaining agreement. Prior to the reorganization and reduction-in-force, QA jobs were either “hot end” (95.3% male) or “cold end” (76.6% female). Defendant developed a skills matrix that assessed hot-end jobs as requiring more skill than cold-end jobs. In scoring applicants on the matrix, defendant adjusted the scores of some men upward to give them credit for performing cold-end functions they had never performed, and gave woman with years of cold-end experience low cold end scores. Out of 95 applicants, a substantial number of them women, defendant selected only 4 women (2 for part-time positions) for melting line operator jobs."

What Happened? "Under a 3-year consent decree, defendant paid $1,450,000 to 11 women who lost their jobs. The decree prohibits defendant from engaging in employment practices at its Duryea facility that discriminate or retaliate in violation of Title VII." http://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/litigation/reports/09annr...

3) Sexual Harassment: http://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/litigation/reports/09annr...

"In EEOC v. Taco Bell Corp. (W.D. Tenn. Aug. 27, 2009), EEOC alleged that a nationwide restaurant chain serving Mexican-style fast food subjected two 16-year-old female crewmembers at a Memphis-area restaurant to sexual harassment and constructively discharged them. On one crewmember’s first day of work, April 22, 2006, the restaurant’s 35-year-old general manager physically attacked her in a cooler, grabbing her breasts and genital area. He let her go and told her to meet him in the restroom in 5 minutes. The employee immediately left the restaurant and went home, and she and her mother reported the incident to the police the same day. The police arrested the manager at the restaurant on April 22, and he was later indicted on rape and sexual battery charges."

What Happened: "EEOC initially filed suit only on the April 22 incident, but later learned that in September or October of 2005 the same manager had raped a different 16-year-old crewmember after forcing his way into her home on the pretense of delivering her paycheck. After giving defendant the opportunity to conciliate regarding this second individual (whom defendant had not disclosed during EEOC’s investigation of the other crewmember’s charge), EEOC added her to the suit. EEOC’s suit resulted in a 2-year consent decree and total monetary relief of $350,000 to the two individuals." http://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/litigation/reports/09annr...

Good luck!

Source(s): EEOC 2009 Cases: Sex Discrimination in Pay: http://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/litigation/reports/09annr... Sexual Harassment: http://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/litigation/reports/09annr... Race- and Sex-Based Hostile Work Environments http://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/litigation/reports/09annr...
  • erl
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Unequal Treatment In The Workplace

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Example cases of unequal women treatment in the workplace?

Hey I'm supposed to share with the class on unequal treatment of women in the workplace with the class today, I've been able to come up on how they are mistreated but thinking some examples or cases might spice it up.

Anyone have good example/cases? Can involve anything from just given...

Source(s): cases unequal women treatment workplace: https://biturl.im/S9mwC
  • 10 years ago

As a man, I work in a man rich environment where women are relegated to non mangement positions; ie 'kept' as admin assistants. However i see the intelligence behind this as I was trying to get away from the blustering puffery of these self titled alpha males by moving to an admin position. As THE alpha male in the office, (5'9' 300 lbs, fit and experienced) I seem to threaten all these pecker-wavers and it is impossible to do my job; the hyenas all band together and nip at my heels, never able to get a full shot at the title.

First u need to differentiate between discrimination vs. workplace bullying. Most employers, idiots that they are, wont give a hard evidence of discrimination as it would lead to a lawsuit, but there is no legislation in Ontario - Canada for tworkplace bullying yet. As a matter of fact, it was brought up in the legislature and turned down about 6 times.....hmm wonder why????? Only Quebec and recently Saskatchewan have enacted it.

If you think that only women are mistreated (idl like to know what you cite as some examples of this) in the workplace you need to change the focus of your study.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

in some jobs "physical strength" is a significant requirement of the job. i have carried bundles of shingles up a ladder, it is physically DEMANDING... and they are ONLY 80#s. if the job requires carrying a limp body out of a burning apartment and down a ladder for example, those that CAN do so deserve to make MORE MONEY than those that can't. lowering the requirement is NOT EQUALITY. i don't care if it is a woman or a small framed man. "equal pay for EQUAL WORK" can allow that some are not capable of doing the "equal work". if physically unable to do the same job, the they should be PAID LESS. even in an office environment, I have had to move a room full of boxed paper that "weaker" women did not. because i was stronger, i got stuck with a crap job. therefore, WE ARE NOT EQUAL... and UNEQUAL PAY shouldn't be a problem.

• Women get paid less, promoted less, never get the top jobs (the glass ceiling effect), get harassed constantly.. Look at the past 60 years.

• 10 years ago

Men want sex. Women want better job. Women sometimes get better job because man boss hope for sex.

I don't think they'll like that one though,

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.