Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

fellow atheists whats your opinion on the Palestine/Israel conflict?

i saw a pro Zionist film called hijacking the holy land and it seems Jews would give Muslims rights that the Muslims would never give the Jews back. my gut feeling tells me to go with Israel. but i'm a little confused because all these people are telling me to support Palestine.

Best Answer

Israel is the only country in the entire world where discussion of its military actions is so closely tied to denying it the right to exist.

The League of Arab Nations created, maintained and continues to exploit the PA refugee crisis because it is their most powerful weapon against what they see as an infidel homeland in the Middle East.

~

The only thing that the UN has ever done for Israel is a single vote in 1948 for its establishment.

Since then the UN has passed more resolutions condemning Israel than all the rest of the countries in the world combined. That includes such oppressive regimes as China, Cambodia, Saudi Arabia, North Korea etc.

I think that you should do some research and you will find that your assumption is based on the impression that you get from the media rather than on any facts.

~

The state of Israel is already established, since 1948. Previous to that, the land had not been part of any nation for over 400 years. Until WW1, it was part of the Ottoman Empire, very sparsely populated and undeveloped. When the Ottoman Empire fell the UN mandated British rule until it could be formed into nationhood. Since the most advanced settlements there in the past 100 years or so had been Jewish agricultural communities in their ancestral homeland, it was assumed that the nation would be a Jewish one. However, some of the local Arabs objected strenuously to this. As a result of compromises, about 3/4 of the British Mandate of Palestine was formed into the nation now called Jordan. West Bank was part of Jordan. The Gaza Strip was given to Egypt. The rest was, in time, formed into Israel.

Perhaps the most vociferous opponent of a Jewish state was Amin al Husayni, an ally of Hitler, who wanted all Jews removed from the region one way or another. He, more than any other single person, is most responsible for the Arab-Israeli conflict in the Middle East.

When Israel was established, everybody living in the land was welcomed to stay on as full citizens, and many did. This was not the case in Jordan, which does not allow Jewish citizens in Jordan, if I am not mistaken.

One of Israel's official languages is Arabic. Arabs serve in public office. The only difference between Arabs and other Israelis is that Arabs are not required to serve in the military, though they are welcome to if they choose.

Even now, terrorists send rockets into Israel on an almost daily basis, and suicide bombers with some frequency. Israel actually withdrew entirely from Gaza, so that it could be self-governing, and the result is continuing rocket attacks on Israel.

I won't go into all the details. But I certainly don't see Israelis murdering innocents or acting like Nazis.

~

"In 1947, David Ben-Gurion told the Arabs that this land was going to be a Jewish State but begged them to stay and be a part of it.

Some did, some didn't.

When the War of Independence began in 1948 the Arab nations got on the radio and told the Arabs living in and around the new State to leave since they didn't want them to be in the way when they killed all the Jews.

Many more left.

Big mistake.

When Israel signed the armistice, the Jews didn't let the Arabs come back to their homes.

It's their own fault.

If they would have stayed they would have had a much better life than the ones they lead now.

Sorry, but to the victor goes the spoils.

Other Arabs do care.

In the city of Um Al Fahem no terrorist attacks coming out of the West Bank could have been perpetrated without their knowledge or facilitation.

This is common knowledge to law enforcement in Israel."

~

Golda Meir: We will have peace with the Arabs when they love their children more than they hate us.

~

I think you need to read some history books.

In 1900, Jews made up less than 5% of the population of Palestine. Arab Muslims made up about 90% and most of the rest were Christians.

Over the next few decades, Jews flooded in, mostly from eastern Europe and the Soviet Union. By 1948, Jews made up about 45% of the population.

The UN then decided to give the Jews 55% of the land and leave the Palestinians with just 45% of the THEIR OWN LAND.

There was a war, the Palestinians lost and Israel was created, taking even more than the 55% the UN gave them. In 1967 neighbouring Arab states attacked Israel to try to reverse this. They lost, and the Israelis took all off the remaining land. They occupied 100% of the land, leaving the Palestinians with nothing.

Even the Americans regard the Israeli settlements in the West Bank and East Jerusalem as illegal. Even the Americans could not support the crimes that have been committed against the people of Gaza.

People keep saying the Palestinians don't recognise Israel's right to exist, but they overlook the fact that Israel DESTROYED Palestine and have mistreaed its refugees for SIXTY YEARS.

Israel is there to stay.

But the Palestinians aren't going anywhere either.

Israel is one of the few countries left on Earth which defines citizenship primarily as a question of religious/ethnic adherence. Israel was created by fiat. A final act of British colonialism, in 1948, following the horrors of World War II, with the sense that the Jews needed a homeland of their own. Like most acts of colonialism, it was incredibly insensitive to existing situations on the ground and to the existence of people already there and the actual geopolitical reality of the place.

Now I don't go around saying Israel shouldn't exist. Legally, you could actually make a case for this: The declaration of the state of Israel is a bizarre occurrence at such a late date and has no real precedent in international law - lots of people have ancient texts telling them they own this or that. The U.N. doesn't normally sanctify them. But Israel is there to stay.

On the other hand, Palestinians aren't going anywhere either. And Israel, by pursuing further encroachment of colonies into Palestinian areas has been pursuing what can only be described as aggressive colonialism in the last few decades. You're basically pushing more and more people onto smaller and smaller land and telling them if they want to rejoin the mainstream (for those of them who are even given that option), they'll have to do so as second class citizens.

The fact of the matter is Palestinians aren't going anywhere either. I don't see it as a question of "Israel over Palestine" or "Palestine over Israel". I see it as the need for a real solution with which everyone can live in dignity, and that must include a Palestinian state, fully independent on Israel. If Israel is so concerned about terrorism (I could rant on about why that is just stupid, but anyway - everybody is always retaliating. Nobody ever says they're attacking. This is the basis of my problem with calling this an issue of terrorism), an international force (NOT including Israel, which is too involved already) could momentarily police it, keeping in mind there's a world of difference between a police force and a military occupation. Palestine needs its own port, management of its own borders, etc... The present situation is a recipe for misery.

I side with Palestine. Why?

1) The land was inhabited by Arabs for centuries before the British took it as a mandate and let Jews in.

2) Israel has no respect for other countries' borders. There are thousands of Israeli settlers invading the West Bank because they think they have a "right" to the land.

3) Israel indiscriminately bombs Palestinian villages in response to suicide bombings, with far superior weapons than the Palestinians have.

Source(s): American atheist who is ashamed at my government's stance in this conflict.

I feel that Israel is made up of European immigrants with American English accents. I also feel that it is wrong that Arabs should pay for something that Europeans did to the Jews for 2000 years. Expulsions, pogroms, holocaust. If anyone should give land to Jews it is Europeans.

Unbiased and neutral documentaries concerning the subject should be watched before you give in to confusion, don't you agree?

I recommend [personal POV] :

1- Occupation 101.

2- Peace, Propaganda and The Promised Land.

Both are great documentaries that interview a number of multi-national organizational activists [including Israelis] that are trying their best at restoring balance and harmony in the cursed promised land.

As for the rights that Jews [Zionists] are giving to Muslims [Arabs] they're the same rights a prison Guard can give the prisoners since all the occupied lands are surrounded by the IDF [Israeli Defense Force] cutting them from the world. What kind of settlement is this? This and more is discussed in the movies I recommended, enjoy.

• I am not the sort to pick sides.

But I'd suggest you read a book called Quicksand: America's Pursuit of Power in the Middle East by Geoffrey Wawro. It certainly gave me a different perspective on the whole thing.

edit: Five tds? Just because I suggested the guy read a book and form his own opinion? Wow.

Consider the fact that Israel bombs little children and has killed thousands of Palestinians whose only "weapons" are pebbles and has blocked virtually food, electricity, clean water, hospital or any aid to a people in a city and is driving them into the sea then tell me again you're with Israel.

Source(s): Muslim

It gives the Muslims something to do besides attack the US.

• cosmo

The whole thing is about religion, and all religions are just wrong. It's pathetic.