Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Can two foreign citizens marry in Canada?

And if they could marry, would they be allowed to reside indefinitely in Canada? One is from the US and the other from Europe.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Jeff H
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Canada does allow foreign nationals to marry once they complete the necessary paperwork and the marriage would be legal here and in their home country(ies). However the fact that they were married in Canada gives them no special rights or privileges when it comes to immigrating to Canada. So the answer to the second part of your question is no, they will not be allowed to reside indefinitely in Canada (unless they have previously applied, and been approved for, immigrant status). The fact that you have a marriage ceremony performed in a country generally gives you no special rights of residency (unless the marriage is to a citizen/resident of that country).

I noted that every answer has at least one thumbs down even though most of them are correct. One has to wonder about these people....

• 1 decade ago

Of course they can - lots of couples come from other countries to marry at Niagara Falls, or other special locations. But they can't reside indefinitely in Canada - the legal limit is 180 days unless otherwise specified on a visa.

• St N
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

They will be able to purchase a marriage licence and post bans as well as have a wedding ceremony, but that will not give them any rights to residency. For that, they will have to apply to immigrate to Canada, both of them.

• 1 decade ago

They are allowed to have a marriage ceremony, then they leave. Whatever they do as tourists has no effect on any application for Permanent residence.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

I am sure that they can cuz i am from canada and also born in toronto,canada so i am sure about it buddy.

• 1 decade ago

they can marry as far as i know

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.