Which is better- to be yourself, or to hide who you are?

Well, it's not that I'm confused or anything, I'd just like to take a kind of survey. The question is pretty obvious, but if you need elaboration- For example- some people are born very sensitive and they try to hide from emotions by labelling it as a feeble excuse for the week minded. Some others are born sensitive and don't mind showing that they are, which includes the drama-queen kind of people.

Some times, people are afraid of being someone they really are- like a dare-devil or a complete wreck at heart or a very disturbed private life, and because they're always under the lime-light, they think it's best to act like as if they really enjoy being the centre of all attention, always the perfect kind that everyone is jealous of.

Some other times, people try to block out incidents from life, hiding and running away from reality, rather than dealing with it. Some people would say- it's easier to block it, some others would say it's better, if not easier, to deal with it.

Back to the main question- what do you believe in-running away, or standing up to all of it?

• RADHA
    Favorite Answer

To be yourself is correct but you can't be yourself if you don't know, understand, and accept yourself first.

It should be your primary goal to find this out.

One of the most unhealthy approaches to being oneself is to make a decision that who you are is defined by a moment or period of time, after which you spend the rest of your life trying to still be that person from the past rather than someone who is still you but grows with the passing of each season and decade.

Source(s): an

Ideally its much healthier (and easier) to be yourself...hiding usually reflects some personality problem.

Most people are dysfunctional though, because on the average, parenting is of very low quality. It's very difficult to be a good parent, it usually requires a good person, or someone with insight.

So called "drama queens" are dysfunctional people that are asking for help...

• I think everyone should be themselves....I hate to lie about my self and I really don't care about what other people think about me.The reason why most people hide who they really are is because they are scared that some people might make fun of them or something (typical stuff in elementary and middle school) most people care about what other people think of them and they shouldn't...I'm 20 but I still love to act like I'm 10 years old or something and goof around with friends and I don't really care as long as I'm having a good time :D

People always act as they are somebody else or what the society compels him to do. We don't show our real self as it is more terrible than others expect. Everyone try to hide as it's a part of our social action but how clever you are in it is what matters.

Sometimes you have to be yourself and sometimes you have to hide it coz we live in a society and something about our nature might not be acceptable. its like - 'Think unique,,but act like everyone else.'

• ?

Be yourself. The ppl that matter will still love you, the ppl that don't ...well why would you want to be their friend anyway? ALWAYS be true to yourself.

It does not really matter death is inevitable.What ever makes a person happier i suppose.

Be your self and maintain individuality.

U r unique in this world.

• xaxorm

Be yourself as long as you're a decent person. Otherwise, if you're a $%^&?!, then the latter.

I like being myself.