Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 9 years ago

I'm torn about how to end my story? (easy ten points)?

Basically, all you need to know is that the story is about 6 teenagers who accidentally transport themselves ten years into the future with a time machine (i know, it sounds like a sci-fi story, but it's not. really) But it's not like back to the future, more like thirteen going on thirty so they're not kids who got transported there, they're lives have been fast forwarded and they're adults now. Anyway, long story short, I'm torn whether or not I should bring them back to the past in the end. Near the beginning, that was the main goal they were working towards, getting back, but slowly, they've adjusted to their new lives and they've even sort of started forgetting sometimes that they're really just kids. On one hand, I think it would be kind of cool to see them accept their new lives and be happy with them, but I also kind of want them to go back. I feel like that would be a bit disorienting though because they're in the future for over a year and then they're just supposed to forget about it? And also, there are three children that may cease to exist if they go back to the past because if they do one thing differantly, they may not have their children. One character's girlfriend dies of leukemia though so he'd get to see her again if they went back to the past. But also, two characters who are dating in the future wouldn't be able to date in the past because of the age differance. I'm just not sure what to do. What would you do if you were me and why?? I'm going to make the decision myself in the end, but your input could really help me out with this. Thanks in advance.

It doesn't work that way. Either they all go back to the past or they all stay in the future. There's none of this "one dies and the rest make it back" stuff, it just doesn't work like that. Sorry I can't explain it better, it was hard enough to explain to my readers in the first place.

Favorite Answer

I think it would be interesting if some remained and some went back. Then you can compare the differences in the lives of those who stayed in the future and those who went back to the past. So the end of the book could have the readers thinking about who made the best decision in the end.

I'm sorry I tried really hard to think of an ending but my brain can't ignore all the scientific and logic plot holes. If they traveled to the future then it is a timeline that includes them getting in the time machine. Therefore, the future is the result of any decisions they hav made regardless of what they tried to do to change it. If some of them choose to go back, then are their other friends that stayed just nonexistent until ten years later when they magically appear with their new lives? Or are there copies of them that exist throughout the past with the teens that went back? If there are copies, then those copies would have never used the time machine and would never know what their friends (the ones that did use it) went through, except through the stories being told to them. If they choose not to go back, then they are actually never using the time machine in the first place. Also, the future cannot be changed. Any future you visit is the result of a timeline in which you knew about the future. That's why it's called the future, it's not a premonition, it is the end all be all of what your decisions lead to. If their lives played out any differently then the future they visited, then that future wouldn't exsist, they can only visit a future in which they used a time machine in the past, which means if they returned to the past, then they created the future they visited. I'm sorry for ranting, I'm trying to explain something that I'm not very good at explaining lol. If I made any sense, maybe you could actually use this viewpoint to create an ending.

Thanks for reading!

They are your characters are thus a part of you.

I think that they would want to relive the years that they had lost, no matter what may change in the future. i think they decide that the risk is worth it. They have the memories as to how they got to where they are in the future and when they go back, the memories will be carried with them. They could change the future, they know that, but they chose to risk what they have lived because either the future is already written and cannot be changed, or because the future is not written and any choice could send a wrinkle in time and change what happens in the future.

Ooh, unhappy/depressing thoughts are my in demand. For some reason. enable's see... Take a favorite monster from a delusion or fairy tale and elements them a sad backstory. Then have stated tragic backstory be their very last recommendations as they are killed by technique of the hero (or villian, therefore). Or have someone fall in love with somebody else, only for the somebody else to die tragically, ideally saving the first someone's existence as they achieve this. Or, have the important personality fall in love with the reader, yet then be unhappy because they could under no circumstances be at the same time, and once the reader stops reading, the nature will quit to exist.

It really depends on what will happen. If they go back, will they turn back to 13? If they do, maybe the should go back. I think it will be a beneficial way for them to gain life experience and learn that although life can be amazing a fun, you must live it realistically. They might be sad, but they should learn that they need to live the 17 years they've missed and that they need to shape their own future, rather than being thrown into it. (Also, they've missed high school and uni...)

You might hate what I just said, but I think it would be a pretty good ending, and you would have a good moral...

i see your predicament and after thinking myself for a short while i think they should go back to the past because is there anything that is wrong with the future? is anyones parents dead? anything? because if so that would be a plus... and also you said the girlfriend dies so once again a good option.....

and they missed out on ten years of their life!!! years (if they dont go back) they will never get back and there are things tey would have loved to experience and thinking about later in life they would regret not going back because to them, they have had a shortened life..

so back to the point. i think they should go back to the past a live those lost years

1) Write out the overall story goal and premise question that needs to be answered in the end.

2) Write one of each of the following endings:

- Yes, the main character achieves their overall story goal.

- No, the main character doesn't achieve their overall story goal.

- Yes, the main character achieves their overall story goal, but must forever give up something dear.

- No, the main character doesn't achieve their overall story goal, but it ends up being better for them.

These are the only four possible outcomes, you then need to decide which one is most satisfying given what the main characters had to endure to arrive there. It all comes down to whichever premise you choose for the story, i.e. "It's better to skip the awkward teen years and go right to being a productive adult" or "Your life as an adult is formed by lessons learned as an awkward teen", etc...

I think you should make them go back to their lives as teenagers and then you could make it a series and throughout the series they stay then leave in the endings and a ton of different adventures happen in every one.

I definitely don't think they should stay. I just don't think that is much of an ending.

I was thinking they could either all go back, or the one guy who has reason to can go back. Or there is some rule they all have to go back not just one person, so because he wants to go back and they all make that sacrifice for him.

1 dies the others make it back