? asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 10 years ago

What helps protect African American hair out in the sun?

I need to know what's good and bad for my hair over the summer and I need to know some secrets to keep my hair healthy even if I do swim.

Favorite Answer

Just like you protect your hair even if you're NOT Afrri-Amer. I protect my Asian hair using a wide brim hat, or umbrella. Or keep them tucked inside a hat.

Good question. I've also been protecting my skin from the sun since age 9, and I still got Discoid Lupus. Google that one.

Chemicals from the pool plus the sun, are both very drying & damaging for the hair. They also get sunburned and discolored just like the skin. Chemicals will not protect your hair, and no amount of hair products can protect hair 100%. Like sunscreen, for instance you still get sunburned. Same with hair.

If you get in the pool, make sure you rinse your hair well!

Source(s): I know hair. I have over 4 decades of hair know-how. I have silky, shiny, soft, smooth very healthy hair down to my knees. Previously damaged by perming & dyeing in the 80's & 90's. I've known people in their 30's whose hair stopped growing from ironing their hair in the 70's.

Look for a hair product with SPF...many mouse products have this

A hat

That would be Terrific!!!

That's Terrific!!

wear a hat or wigs

wigs are more suitable for u i guess;)

talk with beautician.