Milka asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 9 years ago

How do you pronounce the Irish word "faoladh"?

I'm working on a story and recently found out that 'faoladh' means 'wolfman'. I'm thinking of using this as a term instead of 'werewolf' or 'lycanthrope', but I'd like to now how to properly pronounce it before I decide to use it. Thanks!

Favorite Answer

faoladh - FuEH-luh

FuEH is like the word "fed" without the "d" and there is a very slight "uh" sound between the "F" and the "EH" sounds; the stress is on the first syllable which is shown with capital letters (except for the slight "uh" sound which I wrote as a lower case "u"

luh is like the word "lug" without the "g" at the end; the "dh" at the end of faoladh is silent

As far as I know, the word faoladh is one of the genitive singular forms of the word faol which is the old literary word for "wolf". I didn't know that it is also used to say "wolfman" - thanks for letting me know about this :)

* edit: There are sometimes different ways of pronouncing words in Irish, as there are in English, so I'm sure beamish is also correct - and of course, I gave her a thumbs up. There are 3 dialects (or more correctly, 3 groups of dialects) of the Irish language so the pronunciation can vary slightly depending on which form of Irish you are speaking. And by the way, ALL dialects of Irish are of equal status, so native speakers from all Gaeltachts are considered to be equally correct - just letting ya know :)

Source(s): student of Irish Gaelic
  • ?

How To Pronounce Irish Words

• kulaga

some dialects of English pronounce it as 'thee' earlier a vowel or a silent h, utilising a similar rule as a and an. Thee hour. The 'thee' pronunciation can be used for emphasis, mutually with, "I observed the President right this moment." "What, the(e) President of the u . s .?" I say it myself and think of that's British English, besides the incontrovertible fact that it is not used lots in Australia.

Heyo - how about the pronunciation for "conroicht" ? same subject matter, different name. Do any of you know what the difference is between this term and Faoladh? I've read that they both refer to Irish werewolves, but I figure two different names would have different connotations.

I'd say FWEE-luck. In my dialect, we don't put much emphasis on the "ck" at the end though others do. The "ck" should sound like an almost-hiss. Some people say FWEE-luh also.

Source(s): Native Irish speaker.