I'm considering purchasing a 1989 Mercedes-Benz 190E with 174,000 Miles?

Would this be a good decision? I'm 18, I make about 700/month and I live with my parents for the time being. I want a car that I could comfortably drive in with No major problems soon to occur. This is the dealers description of the car..

"174.XXX miles Clear title. runs very good for its age.

No leaks or smoking engine and transmission drives smooth.

Good brakes with vip style tires.

No Check engine lights. AC clings when turned on but might need repair because it doesn't blow cold air. Clean inside, Clean Outside."

It would be awesome if someone can give me some inside info on the maintenance of this car and what I should expect.

Thank You!!

Best Answer

If the compressor is working and the blower is working generally the system needs regasing. If the tank is full but no cold air, you are looking at finding a leak in the cooler lines, receiver dryer/consenser and possibly the compressor also. You can have your compressor reconditioned and the rest of it is readily available aftermarket new. This can become expensive but if the vehicle is as good as you are saying then spending the money will be an investment rather than throwing it away.

190E's are incredibly reliable especially if the maintenance has been kept up to it. Things to look out for are fuel and idle issues, the fuel distributor heads can be problematic and the TPS/govenor. If this vehicle has no cold start issues and idles evenly - all is good. They are not typically prone to rusting.

One absolute to do is get her up in the air and check the draglink & tie rod assemblies & ball joints. Front control arm bushes and the rear also. Most people DO NOT get these replaced because general mechanics dont look. It is normal for the tie rods and ball joints to flog out this is not an indication of abuse it is the way the car is.

Aside from that you cant go wrong with one of these esp if it is as you said very clean.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

"174.XXX miles Clear title. runs very good for...

Source(s): 39 purchasing 1989 mercedes benz 190e 174 000 miles: https://tr.im/BKPRs

Do not buy this car until the A/C operation is repaired. Air Conditioners can be very tricky and expensive to repair. While 174,000 miles is not especially high for a 22 year old car, you must see that the services have all been taken care of. Have you checked out how much the insurance will cost you as an 18 year old driver. Air Conditioner repair can be very expensive in a MBz. I would expect you to have to pay at least $1000 to refurbish the A/C. But it really depends on what the A/C problem is.

Hire a mechanic to go with you to evaluate this car before purchase.

Source(s): Licensed CA smog enthusiast.
  • Kaffo

At your age and payrate you should pass on this one. It's too old, the mileage is too high and it needs work. Once a car gets too old it doesn't matter if its a Merc or a banger, things start to go wrong. You'll find that you are spending all your money on it. You don't want that.

I am selling a Mercedes just now. I had it two years and it only needed a couple of minor repairs. However the exhaust blew out and that was a 4 figure sum to fix that.

They are great cars to drive, very luxurius, try to get one a little bit newer with less miles on the clock.

1989 Mercedes Benz 190e

What is a "VIP Style Tire"?

You need to be a little more specific about which 190E this is. Does it have the 2.3 4-cylinder or the 2.6 6-cylinder. Both engines are good but overall, I'd say the inline 6-cylinder is the better engine of the 2. The only thing about the 2.6 is that it is, quite literally, shoe-horned into the engine bay so some of the maintenance on it can be a little tricky. Changing the serpentine belt is one such example.

If you like the car and want to buy it, make it condition of sale to have the car inspected by a dealer or other trusted shop of YOUR choice prior to finalizing the sale. Spending a hundred bucks now on a pre-sale inspection can save you thousands later on in unanticipated repairs.

• Erika

1989 Mercedes 190e

I had one of these back in '91, great car at the time, be wary a dealer can clear all error messages before you see the car but they will still be in the memory so maybe take it to someone else with a scanner to see if it has any in it memory.

Good luck, that's a future classic

• Sandra

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axtDr

the 2.6 is a 6 cyl. the 190 itself is a 4 cyl. get the water pump fixed first before it costs you more. thats good money for a mb. mines done bout the same kms.keep it servivced and well lubed. and you 2 will have a great life together.