Hunny b asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 9 years ago

what exactly is gumbo and the ingredients?

is it like a stew a chowder a soup or all my guesses wrong? and what do you put i8n gumbo. is it always really spicy with lots of hot sauce like you see on tv?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

Well, it's kind of like all three. Common ingredients in gumbo are turkey, chicken, or duck or any other kind of fowl. It's an excellent way to get rid of the remains of a large turkey that you've had for a holiday dinner. You will also need chopped onion and andouille, which is a kind of sausage to be found in Louisiana and much of the rest of the south. I know some people like to make seafood gumbo but I've never agreed with this--it just results in severely overcooked seafood. You'll also need some liquid, and if you can put in an equal amount of white wine that's good too. Justin Wilson, a famous Cajun chef, recommended putting in Sauterne but actually Sauterne passes in and out of fashion and when you do find it you might think it to pricey to cook with. Chablis or Chardonnay will do fine. For seasoning: salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste--maybe a bay leaf or two. Actually, I wouldn't even bother with salt, because it will be in the sausage.

But the most important thing is that YOU NEED TO START WITH A ROUX. It won't thicken properly otherwise. A roux is made with flour and butter or cooking oil (olive oil is best) in the bottom of your pot before you put anything else in. You mix it up and stir it constantly over medium heat, watching it carefully, until it turns kind of caramel colored. Then you are ready to throw in your other ingredients. Cook at a steady simmer until the meat has fallen off the bones of whatever birds you put in there. After it's cooled down a little, out of consideration for the people who will be eating it, pick out as many of the bones as you can.

Serve in a soup ramekin over a half cup or so of rice. Sprinkle a little bit of file' (which is powdered sassafras leaf) if you've got it. It won't ruin things if you can't get hold of it.

Bon appetit!

Source(s): Life its own self--lived in Louisiana almost a quarter of my life, and have made many a pot of gumbo.
  • 9 years ago

Gumbo is, depending on where you're from, a thin stew or a thick soup. As to a recipe, ask a 100 cajun cooks what goes in Gumbo & you'll get 105 different answers. The common ingredients are rice & chicken stock & okra. However I make mine w/o okra so the purists will tell you that mine is not truly Gumbo. Optional ingredients are sausage, chicken, crayfish, alligator, or any other protein you can think of. Peppers, both hot & sweet. Onion, etc. The only thing I've never seen in Gumbo is an additional starch. Rice only.

• 4 years ago

The only place you can get gumbo is in Louisiana. Im sure there are some fakers putting some slop in a can and calling it gumbo. There are many ways to make gumbo..it is not one single dish. It is not a soup..as many ignorant to southern living like to call it. It is not a stew either. It is gumbo. A dark roux is made...the trinity is added. Sometimes we use chicken, oysters, shrimp, crab meat, smoked sausage, ham. Or any combo of these. We serve it over steamed rice and somtimes alittle file' at the end to thicken. It does not always have okra in it...and rarely does.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

You start with a roux, which is a flour and oil mix you make in a big pot. Once your roux is a deep brown color - be sure to sir it constantly so that it won't burn or get lumpy- you add chopped garlic, green onion, bell peppers, salt, parsley, and crushed red pepper. Then you add stock, some use chicken stock , fish stock or even vegetable stock. Then you add an equal amount of water. Add chicken ( I perfer chicken breasts cut into chunks but most prefer whole pieces with the bones in because the bones add flavor), andouille sausage, whole crabs (or crab meat), and shrimp, add shrimp last because you don't want to over cook them. Add okra and corn. In a seperate pot cook white rice, I like to use par-boiled rice because it always comes out right and pretty. When it's done serve it over rice. You can add other spices like hot sauce but you won't need it. Gumbo is flavorful but not especially hot.

Source(s): Southern with a Creole heritage. Mom cooked gumbo everyweek while I was growing up.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

What is Gumbo?Gumbo is a type of spicy stew typical of Louisiana and South Carolina cuisines, but also consumed frequently on the Gulf of Mexico. The hearty dish consists basically of two ingredients: broth and rice. While this may sound boring and limited, gumbo is actually a dish with an extremely large variety of flavors and consistencies, depending on how the broth is made.

The main varieties of gumbo broth include seafood, chicken, red meats (including sausages), and pork. A vegetarian variety also exists, and it was created for consumption primarily during Lent. Instead of meat, vegetarian gumbo is made using mashed greens that have been thickened with a roux, a mixture of butter and wheat flour.

The word gumbo is a reference to the African word kigombo, meaning okra. This refers to the old tradition of using okra to provide a flavor base. The rice used in gumbo is not cooked on the broth but separately, and only added to the dish at the time of serving. Once the broth is made, you can then add whatever type of meat and vegetables you feel will complement the dish. For example, you can add tasso, a type of Cajun smoked pork to pork gumbo, or shrimp, crabmeat, and oysters to the seafood gumbo. Gumbo is consumed primarily during winter months because its hearty consistence makes it a great choice during cold days. Also, gumbo requires a long cooking time, as the broth must be left to simmer for hours to achieve the appropriate thickness.

Creole Gumbo, which is eaten primarily in Southern US States, is a mix of Spanish, French, and African cuisine. More vegetables are used than in traditional gumbo, including green peppers, onions, tomatoes, and herbs. Spices are lightly used, as gumbo is supposed to have a subtle flavor rather than a strong one. People who prefer a hot variation often ask for hot sauce on the side. Gumbo is the traditional dish of Mardi Gras celebrations in Lousiana, where it is often served by masked horse riders, who first collect the ingredients by stopping door to door and then come back with a warm plate of the ready-to-eat gumbo.

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Chicken, Sausage, and Shrimp

1/3 cup + 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil

1/2 cup all purpose flour

2 celery stalks, chopped

2 garlic cloves, pressed

1 green pepper, chopped

1 medium sized onion, chopped

2 cans (14.5 oz.) chicken broth

1 can (14.5 oz) beef broth

1 lb. boneless,skinless chicken thighs

1/2 lb. chorizo sausage, cut into 1/4-inch rounds

1/2 cup loosely packed parsley leaves, chopped

1 Tablespoon minced fresh thyme

1 Tablespoon minced fresh sage leaves

3/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground pepper

1 lb. medium shrimp, shelled & deveined

1 cup long grain rice, cooked as directed on the package

Insturctions:

In a large soup pot, heat oil over med-low heat. Gradually stir in flour, and cook, stirring, until mixture is dark brown ~ about 15 minutes.

Mix the broth in slowly and blend until smooth.

At the same time you start the roux start to cook the vegetables: In a non-stick skillet, over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of oil and heat until hot.

Add celery, garlic, green pepper, and onion and cook until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.

To the roux-thickened broth add the stewed tomatoes, chicken, chorizo, herbs, salt, black pepper and the vegetables.

Add 4 cups of dark beer or water and heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered for 40 minutes. Skim off any fat that comes to the surface.

Add the shrimp and cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until the shrimp turn opaque.

Source(s): PP
  • 9 years ago

its like a stew or soup in the style of cajun cuisine. Hope you like okra. Here is a recipe though they vary from cook to cook. http://whatscookingamerica.net/Soup/GumboSeafood.h... If you like to learn from a cajun check out Justin Wilson making chicken gumbo on his cooking show. http://www.youtube.com/watch?index=0&v=eK4umRMJlrs...

• 9 years ago

Gumbo is a Creole dish made with "anything that walks, crawls, swims or flies". It doesn't have to be spicy if you don't like spicy. But it sure is GOOD spicy!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.