Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 9 years ago

I believe i do not belong in this generation.?

Im a 13 year old guy. I have more developed opinions and thoughts then my peers. I do not believe in name brand clothing because to me, its just clothes made in china with a company logo embedded on the front of the shirt so the company can use you as a walking billboard. Its also extremley over priced. I have a diffrent taste of music also. I do not like popular music right now because all the songs are about: Partying, Sex, Drugs, Violence, The modren term of "love" which is by far not the true meaning. Their are only two popular songs ive heard that arent about that. Based on information i have interpeted from mass media, the modren term of love is i love you until a problem occurs then were through. My music taste is songs like this www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QHYv0Eiv6I and dean martin frank sinatra and the rat pack the impalas skyliners carl perkins the five satins. I also have very strong opionions about goverment and corperations that are very politically charged. So tell me, why am i so diffrent? Where do i belong?

Favorite Answer

We have similar opinions. :) I don't like today's "music" either because it's all about the things you've listed. Same idea with clothing. Be proud of this difference. Who knows, you'll have a great future later on!

Yeah.... you're definitely not alone buddy. I'm a 15 yr old girl. The only music I like is the rat pack and bobby darin and those guys. Agreed on the music thing about it only being about sex and drugs and whatever. It's ridiculous and disturbing. I hate it. I'm not big on politics, I just think everybody should just be nice to eachother no matter what sexuality, race, or gender. Name brand clothes are stupid and overpriced for being made in China and I'm just as happy buying clothes at target or walmart. And the only cars I like are from the 50's. My dream car is a '57 Bel-Air, light orange and cream. So there's a couple of us reasonable teenagers out there from this generation. But it's rare. So don't change what you believe in. You belong right where you are. And you are fantastic for liking these things. In my opinion.

It isn't that you don't belong in this generation, but that you are a different part of this generation. There are plenty of people your age that have similar opinions to yours. Your tastes and opinions are just what makes you, you. You are like the rainbow fish in one of my childhood books, you would rather chart your own path instead of just flip flopping in the same direction as all the other fish do. You are unique and strong willed, this is an excellent piece of your character that I would hope you will hold onto. You are not the only one of your kind out there, remember that, and remember that your differences make you who you are.

I can't tell you "why". Just embrace your unique mind and be happy! You will find your niche when you get older. You probably have a high IQ and there are many like you out there. You will be appreciated for the special person you truly are when you're an adult. Just go with the flow, live the life you want and never change. How refreshing for a 13 year old :)

ok, so you are definitely smarter and have more common sense that most. If you keep this up, you'll become somebody in the future. This country needs more people like you. Heck, I wish I were like you earlier (I'm 25 now). Would have saved me a lot of money...to say the least.

What was your problem again?

You are different because...well, your human. We are (supposed to be) individuals, and have our own tastes. Either that, or you could declare yourself a 'mutation in the species', although that might imply self esteem issues or arrogance

Where does sophisticated belong in this world? I am still trying to find out. At appears that those who do not follow the trend tend to be disadvantaged, or even excluded, in the Post Modern society

You have common sense, that is something most teens are lacking these days. Why do you have to belong anywhere? Most of the greatest minds in the world were different and didn't fit in with the norm.