Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 10 years ago

Dating laws in Canada? URGENT?

I'm 15 and my boyfriends 22. I love him VERY much and i want to know if we can be together.. We're in Canada, and have no sexual relationship. Please inform me on dating laws.. Also! I love my boyfriend, very much, please don't tell me to break up with him just because I'm too young

He understands we will NOT have ANY sexual relationships until I am of age. We only really chat on msn, no, we didn't meet online

• Bob
    Favorite Answer

As long as there is no sex involved, no problem. However, it is just a matter of time before he gets it from you as that is ultimate goal. He should be after females closer to 22.

A simple answer for you? If you touch each other, it's not legal.

You are between the ages of 12 and 16 and he is NOT within 2 years of age. Therefore, any action between you two deemed to be sexual (that includes kissing) could be considered illegal if someone decides to press charges.

I have some quick advice for you. I'm not saying don't date the guy...but he's 22 years old and he's dating a 15 year old. This guy can't be a normal, nice guy. I'm not saying youre too young, I'm saying he's too old. It's really weird for him to be dating a 15 year old and that says something about his character that i don't think you should be finding even remotely attractive, let alone falling in love with.

Basically, you're relationship is not exactly legal, and your boyfriend is probably a creep.

I'm sorry that I have to tell you these things.

• bw022

If there is no sexual relationship, then there are no specific laws against dating in Canada.

That said... if your parents are against the relationship, there are laws (and otherwise legal) ways to make his life a nightmare. They can just call the police and say they suspect you are having a sexual relationship with him. The police probably won't want to press charges, but they will investigate. Your parents can set curfews, forbid you from seeing him, etc. and then charge him with custodial interference. Police won't likely like it in a dating situation, but again, they'll have to investigate. They can get a restraining order against him. Your parents can also call him, call his parents, call his boss, call his landlord, call his church, put up Facebook stories or fliers around his building stating that he is dating an underage girl against her parent's wishes.

If course if your parents are fine with the two of you dating these are unlikely to be a problem.

You should be old enough to know the likelihood of such a relationship lasting.

• tuco

i believe age of consent laws differ from country to country, also those only apply to sexual relationships, so you should be good, he just can't do anything with you that you couldn't do by yourself i.e. drinking smoking driving you over state county lines or international borders with out parental consent, if your parents do not want him around you legally they can keep him from you since you are a minor (im not sure what canada legally considers an adult)

It's legal over here in AMUUUUUUUUUUUUUURKA.

Source(s): 57 year old dating 8 year old