question about becoming a US citizen?

A friend of mine came to the USA as a minor: he was only 17. His mother brought him in as a dependent. How long does he have to wait before becoming a full citizen of the USA, given his history??


He came about a year ago.... almost a year and a half now. His mother married an American Citizen and moved to the USA, bringing him with her, since he was under 18 at the time. In a month or so, he will be 19. He has a green card now, and resident status.

6 Answers

  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    well, you'd have to explain what you really mean, as a dependent. did he come in on some sort of nonimmigrant visa or an immigrant visa. what's his current status? how long has he actually been in the US. you haven't really given us enough of his history to give you an answer.

    Edit: since he's already over 18, he'll have to wait until he has 5 years of US residency.

  • 10 years ago

    5 years

  • 10 years ago

    You have mentioned your friend has a green card now. He has to file Form N600 to document his citizenship status IF he qualifies for citizenship based on his parents status. If he doesn't qualify, he has to file Form N-400 based on his own eligibility. He should be a permanent resident for five years to be eligible for citizenship. If he is married to a US citizen, then it is three years of permanent residency

  • Gary
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

    Has to be in US 5 years to apply for citizenship and will need a US citizen witness that's known him that long and not family. Also clean record.

    Source(s): Naturalized citizen.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

    if his mother becomes a citizen before he is 18 then he will get it automatically

    or he will have to file himself

  • 10 years ago

    i've heard with in 90 days.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.