Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 9 years ago

Chemical or Geological Engineering?

Hoping to get some answers from people in either fields or program, but any feedback is very appreciated. Does anyone have an idea of the job outlook for each discipline? Or what kind of jobs each does? Which one would you consider more rewarding, for reasons other than money?

I love the outdoors and learning about the Earth but at the same time I love chemistry. I'm currently signed up for chem eng, just unsure whether I'll be completely happy with it in the future.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

Ultimately you have to do some pretty serious "homework" to find details and information on the fields. However, I can give some advice and suggestions. 1st, and perhaps of most importance, the broader the discipline, the more versatile it is, and the more versatile employers are going to see you. So, since chemical engineering is one of the main, basic disciplines (the others are electrical, civil and mechanical), the options, job opportunities, and number of schools to get the degree are much greater than for geological, which is more of a sub-discipline or specialty. Chemical engineers have a lot of opportunities for out-door work. Many chemical engineers work as petroleum engineers, environmental engineers, and in out-door plants, like refineries, gas purification plants, and innumerable others. As for job outlook, none of us have a real crystal ball. The official US government projections for both are downward, but there is no real reason for that - except that for 40 years or more, those making the projections tend to academics and government workers, and they just see "traditional" jobs flat to dropping, but those same people didn't see the nanotechnology, electronics, pharmaceutical, medical device, environmental controls, bio-fuels, and other industries growing and needing chemical engineers - they could only see refining, petrochemicals, agrichemical, and other "old" industries. So, if the past is any predictor of the future, there will be industries demanding chemical engineers that we don't think of or that don't yet exist, and therefore growing demand.

• 9 years ago

There are a couple of ideas.

What are your interests? What's the pay from the future job? What are your talents?

So you will like doing the works for the job (not just for money), and you get a good pay(rewards), and you can perform well (against others).

Once you have some choices, then talk to those people who are working on those related fields or are graduated from those majors and see what they are doing.

Btw, Chemistry and Chemical Engineering are not quite the same. It's like Math and Finance.

You can also go to some job search sites like monster.com, and enter some keywords, and see who is hiring chemical engineers or geological engineers.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.