Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelCanadaOther - Canada · 10 years ago

I'm coming to canada, is it necessary to give tips to taxi drivers?

Im from europe so i dont know how it works there... ive got a voucher so that when i land ill get a taxi without paying at that momenti coz its paid already, but on it u can read : "gratuity not included" ..

what am i supposed to to? how much should i give him?

• SteveN
    Favorite Answer

It is customary (consueto) to provide a tip to the driver in Canada and USA if you are satisfied with the service. If the taxi driver got you to your destination promptly and safely, you would tip at a rate of 15% of the expected cost of the trip. So a $40 taxi ride you would give $5-6.

If the driver was pleasant, friendly, and if he placed your bags carefully in the car trunk and removed them again for you at the end of the trip, that would be considered better service and you might consider giving him a bigger tip.

In North America, you normally tip for taxis, hotel doormen and room service, restaurants (except fast food places), and valet parking staff. In some countries in Europe, it is customary to have the tip automatically included on the bill. In Canada, the only time that would happen is if you are a group of 10 or more people eating at a restaurant. When in doubt, just ask the person serving you.

By the way, if you are coming to Quebec, please note that many of the restaurants will show a fee called "TPS" on the bill. Please note that is NOT a tip. It is a tax. It stands for Taux des Produits et Services (like the VAT in Europe).

• ?

Yes you should tip a taxi driver. You tip anyone who provides you with a service the word tips stand for "TO INSURE PROPER SERVICE" so if the taxi driver gets you from point A to point B safely and without an accident I think he has provided you the service you expected. As someone else has said taxi drivers do not get paid very well they depend on the tips to make ends meet. I know this because my dad was a taxi driver for a while before he died.

• JJ

"Gratuity not included" means they expect you to give a tip if you're satisfied with the service. Figure out what the fare would have been, and tip on that. Normally I'd tip 15%, but maybe since you're not paying for the taxi ride itself, you could consider tipping a little extra like 20-25%.

It's not strictly necessary but I always do so unless the driver is extremely rude, or takes twice as long as he should to get where I'm going. Hasn't happened yet. I used to know some taxi drivers and they weren't well paid at all.

• Lori

You don't have to tip the driver but most people do as a courtesy, 15-20% is the norm.

Depending on speed, safety, courtesy, etc. I usually tip between 10-20%.