Converts first Ramadan help?

Salam to you all,

I converted September 19th 2010 just after Ramadan last year I think. What must one do in Ramadan? What is it like for you all? Any traditions you follow?

• Best Answer

first of all I welcome you to Islam...

You can't believe how good i feel after reading this...I am glad that ALLAH blessed you with this gift :)

I have been a Muslim ALL 17 years of my life....and have been keeping full fasts from the age of 9 or 10...

Ramadan, for me, is a very fun month! because it is a month in which you can do even the smallest good deed (in our eyes) and the reward would be multiple times as much...

I like the whole concept of fasting because it makes me feel pure and close to the people who are actually deprived of the things that we are blessed with...

We always get up early in the morning (45 minutes before fajr prayers) and eat and drink as much as we could...(be sure to take yogurt in that meal because it keeps you from feeling thirsty).

Then after offering the prayers, we either recite the Holy Quran, talk to each other, and then we go back to sleep....

then in the morning we go about our schools colleges jobs etc.

in the evening as soon as we hear the call of prayer for maghrib, we break the fast...you make the intention and then break the fast....

at night guys go mosque and offer tarawih prayers....

Be sure to recite as much Holy Quran as you can in this month, and offer ALL prayers......

During fasting, do not eat, drink, smoke, lie, back bite, abuse,

do not have intercourse etc while fasting

Peace:)

• Lima

Salaam!

First of all in Ramadan the night before you fast (July 31) you will have to make intention.Then you cant eat from sun up to sun down. (Fajr prayer until Magrib)

For me I think the first few days of Ramadan are a little hard but after that it is very simple (not as hard as it seems not eating all day)

Usually to make it easier you can wake up before the sun comes up and eat. (Since you have to start fasting at sun up)

Make sure to drink LOTS of water especially the night before and Good Luck!

Asalam u alaikum..

welcome to the religion of Allah,the religion of peace!

And yes dear, you have to follow some rules..

1. you have to fast from fajr till maghrib.

2. if you can read Quran then you should read the whole quran in the whole month but remember to end up on 27th of Ramadan as at this night the Quran was revealed... so if you can please do..

3. offer your five daily prayers not only in Ramadan but in normal days too because there is no excuse to miss your prayer(salah)

4.and spend your time in worshippping Allah in Ramadan because it is the most pious month..and more more chance is there for the acceptance of duas so keep praying to Allah and ask for forgiveness and jannah and other things as mucha s you can because and remember if some of your dua don't get accepted it means that those duas will become your good deeds on the day of Judgement..

5. and yes most important thing eat and drink before fajr so that you can fast..and there are two duas..one for fasting and one for breaking fast..if you want to know about those duas email me i'll tell you those duas...

6.and you don't watch tv or curse anyone when you are fasting and try not curse anyone in your daily life as well not only in Ramadan

Jazak Allah

takecare

Wa Alaykum Assalaam.

May Allah Subhanallah Wa T'ala keep us on the straight path insha'Allah ameen.

Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic lunar calendar. Every day during this month, Muslims around the world spend the daylight hours in a complete fast. During the blessed month of Ramadan, Muslims all over the world abstain from food, drink, and other physical needs during the daylight hours. As a time to purify the soul, refocus attention on God, and practice self-sacrifice, Ramadan is much more than just not eating and drinking.

Muslims are called upon to use this month to re-evaluate their lives in light of Islamic guidance. We are to make peace with those who have wronged us, strengthen ties with family and friends, do away with bad habits -- essentially to clean up our lives, our thoughts, and our feelings. The Arabic word for "fasting" (sawm) literally means "to refrain" - and it means not only refraining from food and drink, but from evil actions, thoughts, and words.

During Ramadan, every part of the body must be restrained. The tongue must be restrained from backbiting and gossip. The eyes must restrain themselves from looking at unlawful things. The hand must not touch or take anything that does not belong to it. The ears must refrain from listening to idle talk or obscene words. The feet must refrain from going to sinful places. In such a way, every part of the body observes the fast.

Therefore, fasting is not merely physical, but is rather the total commitment of the person's body and soul to the spirit of the fast. Ramadan is a time to practice self-restraint; a time to cleanse the body and soul from impurities and re-focus one's self on the worship of God.

it's really nice seeing converts:)

Welcome to the religion, we're always here as an Islam religion to talk about our faith:)

just remember your doing the fasting (Sawm) fro the sake of Allah (swt)-due to helping out the poor and thinking about the others.

When fasting you cannot drink any fluid, eat food, chew gum etc. Also you cannot talk bad about any one (even when your not fasting", swear, have sex, go to a party, listen to music etc.

What you can do is listen the the Quar'an, Pray, visit family and friends, help the poor, i've heard that you can wear perfume, you can brush your teeth-but dont swallow anything!

Just believe in yourself and Allah will help you and guide you!:)

May Allah (swt) reward you, and if you're coming to terms into quitting the fast, just think to yourself "what if i die?", "what if this is the last Ramadhan?" and hopefully it will in courage you to stay on task!

Mash'Allah....and good luck:) peace.

• musa

Walaikum Salaam.

Alhamdhullillaah. All Praise be to Allah, Who guides whom He wills to the 'Strait Path'.

Ramadan is the Holy Month in the Islamic Calender in which is believed Major important events in Islamic history took place. Also the month, in which every muslim has been commanded to observe 'Fasting' (one among the 5 pillars of Islam) from dawn to sunset, abstaining from food, drinks, and from sexual indulgence. Also required to abstain from lieing, anger and all sorts of ill behaviour.

The objective of 'Fasting' is 'Self Diciplining' oneself by learning to 'evade' temptations.

Also to 'self experience' the pangs of hunger so that we remember the poor and the needy during distressing times.

Also to rejuvenate organs which could have been marred by uncontroled eating and other habits.

And Allah knows best.

Mashallah

You fast, and while fasting you pray extra sunna rakahs. :D

@one of the answers said about eskimos, according to a hidith, when day and night are each a month long, you estimate the timings (saheeh hadith)

i have a whole sheets on this ( i did a class for converts on how to fast and stuff..) i can send it to you..send me an email

I am a convert and this is my 4th ramdan inshallah

my fav. tradtion is going over friends how and eating there food :)

• Nope

Assalamulaikum

May Allah Subhanatallah Bless You

Congratulations

I don't really know what to say to your queswtions , I just wanted to congratulate you .