which crimp should i use for reloading 45 acp ?

I just just bought my self a kimber goldmatch II 45 acp and I don't know which type of crimp to use. Ive been using a carbide 3 set rolling crimp for my 9mm and 357 mag, but ive been hearing people use a taper crimp for 45 acp. So whats the difference between roll and taper crimp and which one should I use for my 45.

Favorite Answer

Read your reloading manual a few more times.

Any rimless case is designed to use a light taper crimp in order to headspace and chamber properly.

Since a taper crimp sufficiently holds the bullets in place on factory ammunition, it will probably be sufficient for your handloads as well.

• ?

Geeze! The only pistol a 45 ACP roll crimp will work on, correctly, is a revolver. The right answer to your question - for anyone who owns or shoots a semiautomatic pistol - is, TAPER CRIMP. While we're on the subject you should NOT be using a roll crimp on 9 x 19mm cartridges for exactly the same reason.

(Any cartridge that headspaces, OFF THE CASEMOUTH, needs the exposed lip of the cartridge case to act as a, 'stop' for the entire case to rest upon inside the chamber. With a roll crimp that sharp edge isn't there; and the cartridge has to headspace INCORRECTLY off the rim. Possible to do, BUT not good!)

The .45 ACP headspaces on the case mouth. You cannot use a roll crimp, it will not provide a stop for headspace. You must use a taper crimp, and a slight one at that.

Your reloading manual should tell you this. Re-read the instructions in it about crimping.

Either will work, but the taper crimp will give you longer case life. The roll crimp is intended for use with cannelured bullets like the .357 magnum bullets. The taper crimp is intended for bullets without a cannelure like the 9mm or .45ACP.