What are some good, mature, young-adult books?

I'm looking into reading a new book, that is a good and mature young adult book. I just finished reading The Hunger Games (which is amazing by the way). I prefer books that are apart of a series as well.

I've also ready Harry Potter and Twilight, of course. I've read the Uglies series and 'A Great and Terrible Beauty,' but I did not find them well written so I lost interest. As well, I'm not into science fiction or things like creature (wolves, witches, etc - yes I know I did read Twilight though). But I really do enjoy dystopian societies. Thanks for helping me out!

Favorite Answer

1)Wither (The Chemical Garden Trilogy) by Lauren DeStefano

After being kidnapped, Rhine is "sold" to a rich man, Linden, along with two other girls, Cecily and Jenna. Their polygamous marriage is seen as necessary, for Linden’s father is a scientist trying to find a cure for the "virus" that strikes down youth, and he needs new subjects for his experiments — subjects in whose DNA, he hopes, a cure can be found.

2)UNWIND-Neal Shusterman

The novel is set in a future United States in which a war over abortion has led to the common practice of "unwinding" or harvesting the organs of teenagers for transplant use. Three teenagers named Connor, Risa, and Lev all attempting to escape the fate of being sent to a "harvest camp" and unwound.15yr-old Connor's parents can no longer control him. Lev, a tithe, was raised by religious parents for the sole purpose of being unwound. Risa, a ward of the state, is a victim of shrinking budgets since she is not a talented enough musician to be kept alive.

3)DARKEST POWER SERIES-KELLY ARMSTRONG

Chloe, 15, has the ability to see dead people, but before she can figure out what is happening, she has a breakdown, is diagnosed with schizophrenia, and placed in a group home. She befriends some of the teens at Lyle House and tries to accept her treatment.when the dead speak to her again and reveal that they were "supernaturals" who were experimented on, killed, and buried in the home's basement many years before. Together with her new friends, Chloe escapes Lyle House, only to be betrayed.

4)The Giver By Lois Lowry

12-year-old Jonas is chosen to be the community's Receiver of Memories. Under the tutelage of the Elders and an old man known as the Giver, he discovers the disturbing truth about his utopian world and struggles against the weight of its hypocrisy.

5)LIFE AS WE KNEW IT-SUSAN BETH PFEFFER

(The collision knocks the moon out of its normal orbit around earth and terrible things begin to happen.Tsunamis, earthquakes and floods wipe out huge areas of land and people.Miranda's world becomes more and more focused on the tragedy and the effects of the global climactic change, and her frame of reference as a teen in a world of school, friends, sports and the future, shrinks down to the day to day survival of herself and her family of four.)

6)Perfect Chemistry-Simone Elkeles

7)Some Girls Are -Courtney Summers

8)Cracked up to be-Courtney Summers

At a wild "school's out" party, she catches her friend Jessica's boyfriend kissing another girl and tells Jessica, who retaliates by hooking up with an older guy who crashed the party. The next day Jessica is missing, and Parker, suspecting that she could have done something to help her, nosedives into a downward spiral, drinking heavily, and attempting suicide in a motel room.

9)Solo by Alyssa Brugman

Solo is the story of a troubled teenage girl called Mackenzie and her experiences at a camp for teenagers with issues. The “Solo” of the title is 24 hours when each teenager at the camp must spend time alone in the wilderness.Mackenzie is gradually revealed as having a life ruined by abandonment, homelessness and abuse. In response to this she has sought to survive, sometimes by lashing out in violence or abuse of her own. Sometimes she uses savage humour and builds a wall of toughness around herself so the pain will not be so severe.

10)Becoming Chloe by Catherine Ryan Hyde

Seventeen-year-old Jordan tries to rescue 18-year-old Chloe from her attackers, and the two homeless teens form a fierce, siblinglike bond as they help each other survive the streets--a struggle that sometimes drives Jordan to prostitution. Both have deep scars: gay Jordan nearly died from his father's abuse; childlike Chloe can't speak directly about her past horrors, even to Jordan. At last, they strike out on a healing, cross-country trip in search of "beauty . . . maybe even some decent, kind people."

11)Hate List by Jennifer Brown

At the end of their junior year, Valerie Leftman's boyfriend pulls a gun in the Commons, leaving six students and a teacher dead and many others wounded. Valerie had no idea that the "hate list" that she and Nick created would be used to target victims in a vengeful shooting spree. For her, the list of tormentors was a way to ease the pain of being bullied and an outlet against the constant fighting between her parents. Although the police investigation reveals that Valerie had nothing to do with the actual shootings, many people in her community, including her parents, have a hard time believing that she is not at fault, too.

1. The Good Earth by pearl buck (w/ sequels The Sons etc.) 2. Twilight series (Twilight, Newmoon, Eclipse, Breaking Dawn) by Stephanie Meyer (may be a teen book now but was originally written for a young adult audience) 3. To Kill a Mocking Bird (a classic you'll love) 4. Gone with the Wind ( a romantic and exiting story; I read it in 7th grd. it may seem long, but go for it!) 5. Jane Eyre (a little dry, but a good read nonetheless)

I doubt that what you've read so far would give you any small comfort in finding a book with a more "mature" theme. The list of books you gave me openly suggests that this is what you're used to reading and will continue to read--because it's within your "comfort zone".

Most of what I read--as a reader--comes off more mature for adult audiences than teens. As do what I write. So I couldn't recommend a book series right off the bat because I know so few.

• atch

Have you read an Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.? You might enjoy Galapagos, Slapstick, Cat's Cradle, or Slaughterhouse 5. His work does have some sf elements, but it is not, strictly speaking, science fiction.

If you'd like something more realistic, I like Life is Funny by ER Frank, Name Me Nobody by Lous-Ann Yamanaka, Criss Cross by Lynn Rae Perkins, or A Step from Heaven by An Na.

Divergent by Veronica Roth!! It is an amazing book!! I think you're going to like it :D

but I have to warn you that the next book only comes out in 2012 :'(