How to improve to achieve phd in electrical engineering?

Hi,

I finished 2nd year of undergraduate electrical engineering at University Of Toronto. My ultimate goal is to do Phd from a good university. I haven't achieved much in my 2 years at the university. I was very lazy at first and now i am willing to put in a lot of effort. I have a low cgpa but i have a lot of technical experience. I want to know how i can improve in the next 2 years and what else to do to get admission into a reputed university for Master of applied science and engineering and ultimately for phd.

• eri
    Favorite Answer

Most graduate programs won't even consider you without a 3.0 GPA overall, so definitely work hard to get that as high as possible. Even if 3.0 is the cutoff to apply, many schools expect a 3.5 or higher. A PhD program is about doing research - you'd need to show you have good potential in research by getting involved in research projects now, hopefully getting a publication or two. There's not much point in getting a PhD in engineering unless you want to teach it. Most engineering jobs only require a bachelors or masters.

You have to be passionate for your field. To the point that your courses are easy. It helps to start building your own stuff to do unique things.

My Canadian daughter is getting her PhD in Civil Engineering in the USA on a full ride as she has been passionate about transportation from age 5. Because of that passion, she finds it easy. She is wondering when it will become difficult.

If you are not passionate about being an EE then you have to grind it out with a lot of hard work.

Source(s): I am an EE. Have been since 1972. Been passionate about electronics since 1966.