Should I Eat May contain warnings in food....?

im a vegan and a while ago i stopped eating food that even said it may contain animal ingredients... that dosnt leave me that much too eat.. do you think it would be ok to eat foods that state this?

PS this is what made me think about it http://www.peta.org/living/vegetarian-living/tiny-...

• Charms
    Favorite Answer

About 99.9% of those "may contain" warnings are the same as "made on shared equipment used to manufacture milk, eggs, shelfish, etc". And that equipment is well sterilized, but the reason they have that warning is in case of the rare occurrence that some of those allergens are left behind, if someone has a reaction, they've officially ingested at their own risk. If they sometimes use those ingredients, they won't say "may contain" as a disclaimer at the end of the ingredient list, but in the list itself, will have it as an ingredient, because that's the law.

Hope that helps :)

Well, for the record, the PETA site and the labels you're talking about are two different things. And it is a personal preference; don't let people scare you into narrowing down your choices, but if something makes you uncomfortable, then don't eat it.

Okay, something that says "may contain dairy" is purely an allergen warning. As other people have answered, this is the company's way of not getting sued if someone gets sick. All this means is the company makes some dish with fish, dairy, eggs, wheat, etc. and even though they try to clean up, there could always be residue left over. If that grosses you out, then don't eat it. If you don't want to support any company that's not 100% vegan, don't eat it. But the product itself is, for all intents and purposes, vegan. I personally agree that it's too limiting to avoid such foods, and I do eat them.

Now PETA's stance is that even if a product openly contains a tiny amount of animal products (that were purposely put in), you should still eat it. They kind of have a point. Perfection is impossible because animal products are in everything--car tires, rolls of film, etc. The point is to do the best you can. PETA also believes that you should support products that don't contain dairy and such, and even if it contains some by-products that's okay. Economically it makes sense. If everyone in the world gave up animal by-products but continued to eat meat, no animals would be saved. Yet if everyone gave up meat, the food companies would probably start using plant ingredients instead of animal ones, since the animal products would become more expensive. I hope that makes sense. Again, if the presence of a tiny bit of animal products bugs you, then don't eat that food. But don't let people make you feel guilty, when your open-mindedness might be better for animals than their strictness. You'll be teaching companies to use less dairy and eggs, and you'll be showing the people around you that it's super easy to be a vegan... the animals win. Not saying no one should be strict if that's what they want, but they shouldn't harp on people who don't see a point in the super tedious ingredient-checking.

The may contain type statements are not meaning they intentionally contain animal ingredients but they may have been processed in a factory that processes animal products. It is basically an allergy warning so companies aren't liable if you get sick because they warned you. I mean if the ingredients list animal ingredients than don't eat the food but if it just has a warning label you should be fine.

Here is the definition for those saying veganism is this or that and being incorrect:

"The word 'veganism' denotes a philosophy and way of living which seeks to end the idea of animals as property and exclude all forms of intentional exploitation of, use of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing, research or any other purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of animals, including people and the environment.

In dietary terms it denotes the practice of dispensing with all products derived wholly or partly from animals."

Source(s): vegan because animals are not property

As a vegan, I'm torn about this too.

On one hand, I feel like I do want to lend as much support as I can to companies that provide completely vegan products on all their machinery and thus have no chance of containing animal ingredients. The best way to show support is by buying these products from these companies. By purchasing from companies that also make animal-based foods, I am implicitly saying that it is ok for them to make those products. I think it is important to call up food companies and ask them their sources for monoglycerides, etc., because it helps to raise awareness of this issue and point out to companies that they may lose vegan consumers if they aren't careful.

On the other hand, I agree with the article that you cited, stating that choosing a veggie burger over a burger is the important choice, rather than the minute amounts of potential animal products, especially when you are out at a restaurant or with friends. I like to frame this as "vegan outreach": if we make veganism look fun and easy, I think more people would be convinced to join us, and having more vegans in the world would make a bigger difference than one of us choosing not to eat certain diglycerides or what have you.

So! What to do? I seek a compromise in my daily life, and maybe it would work for you. When I am buying food for myself from a store, I do the research to ensure that the brands that I am buying are 100% vegan, and I'll make the calls to customer service and get put on hold multiple times if I have to. BUT. If I am out at a restaurant or at a friend's party or whatever, my examination of the foods available is a little bit more cursory. I will ask what options are vegan and trust the answers I am given, rather than requesting to peruse ingredient lists or inspect the kitchen. I think this helps the vegan lifestyle in general look more sexy and fun, while I am still asking those hard-hitting questions on my own time. Hope this helps!

• Moojoo

I'd regard those warnings as similar to the allergen warnings about foods that "may contain traces of nuts." It doesn't really mean there's nuts/animals in it. It just means that there were nuts/animals near some of the ingredients at some point in time and you officially can't sue them if you eat it and go into anaphylactic shock/moral outrage when it turns out that the particular package you got was indeed minorly contaminated. It's more of a legal thing than anything else.

well, you're a vegan because you've decided you don't wish to eat animal products and the other restrictions that come with being a vegan -- now, if you're even asking us whether you can eat things that may or may not be "vegan-friendly" then... are you really serious to your chosen decision?

It's a personal preference, you won't die if you eat something that contained meat, surely if you were a vegan you would not eat anything that "may contain".

To conclude i'd say; no, it's not alright to eat those things if you're actually trying to maintain your dietary choices

depends why you are vegan, if you are doing it for health reasons i should think its ok because there wont be enough in it if it only states there might be but if you are a vegan because of your beliefs it all comes down to how strict you are. would you want to take the risk or eating something that "might have" animal ingredients , its all about how you would personally feel

Why could he could desire to flow to the ER? He has a syringe waiting with liquid antihistamines. What the hell could the ER do different then positioned him on a respirator. and that i guarentee theres a ninety 9% threat he does no longer desire the respirator if he took the epi-pen maximum superb away. to respond to your question, if your eating ingredients that have been "synthetic in a facility that still approaches nuts", or "could incorporate hint quantities of nuts". And its no longer bothering you in any respect, basically shop eating them. you have been eating them for years besides, so i do no longer see a undertaking.

You make no damn sense. You are a vegan so avoid animal foods including GELATIN.

problematic factor. try searching using google or bing. it might help!