? asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 10 years ago

Computer System Recovery Help?!?

My computer has too many problems and virus and I would like to start over. I googled the process and know how to perform a system restore with the system recovery discs provided by future shop when I first purchased my computer. However, after I restore my computer, are there anything else that I have to do before my computer is usable? Such as, do I need to enter some sorts of product keys etc.?

I have backup my personal data as well.

I'm using system recovery discs to restore.

Also, I don't have my windows vista disc as it came pre installed on my computer.

• Favorite Answer

Once you do system restore you get to choose what point you would like to go back to and it is like putting your computer in a time machine so say if you make it go back a day it would have all of the files it had yesterday but it wouldn't have anything that you created after that or anything you updated/installed/edited since then

• .

If you're preparing to reinstall Windows XP then you'll need to locate your copy of the Windows XP product key - also known as the CD key. Normally this product key is on a sticker on your computer or located with the manual that came with Windows XP.

If you've lost your hard copy of the product key, don't worry - it's located in the registry but it's encrypted and not readable, making finding it difficult

Difficulty: Easy

Time Required: Finding your Windows XP product key usually takes less than 10 minutes

Here's How:

Manually locating the Windows XP product key from the registry is nearly impossible due to the fact that it's encrypted.

Note: The manual techniques used to locate the product key for operating systems like Windows 95 and Windows 98 will not work in Windows XP. Those manual procedures will only locate the product ID number, not the actual product key used for installation. Lucky for us, several free programs exist to help find product keys.

Choose a free product key finder program that supports Windows XP.

Note: Any product key finder that locates Windows XP product keys will locate a Windows XP Professional product key as well as a Windows XP Home product key.

Download and run the key finder program. Follow any instructions provided by the software.

The numbers and letters displayed by the program represent the Windows XP product key. The product key should be formatted like xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx - five sets of five letters and numbers.

Write this key code down exactly as the program displays it to you for use when reinstalling Windows XP.

Note: If even one character is written down incorrectly, the installation of Windows XP that you attempt with this product key will fail. Be sure to transcribe the key exactly.