Toddler allergic to all insect bites?

Hi, my son is 26 months. I noticed when he gets a mosquito bite he swells very badly. Normally the mosquito bites take a week or so to go away. Sometimes up to 2-3 weeks. I know it's normal for most toddlers to be allergic, but every time he gets a bug bite it swells a lot and stays for more than a week. He doesn't have any breathing problems or anything that would make me take him to emerge, but is there anything I can do to help him? He mostly gets his bug bites from daycare.. and I'm assuming its because they are outside a lot. I don't want to hear just spray insect repellent on him because obviously I can't be by his side 24/7 while hes at daycare. They go out several times throughout the day. Should I talk to his doctor about this or what should I do? In order to get an appointment with our doctor I usually have to wait a few months to see him.

Best Answer

A reaction to insect bites is normal as the bites are an irritation to the skin cause a histamine reaction which we see as a raised bump. An allergy would be an abnormally excessive reaction to that bite as you mentioned followed by the swelling of parts local to the bite.

The best thing to do to help him out is prevention. If insect repellent is out of the question, then at least wearing long sleeve shirts and pants with socks for the feet is recommended. Depending on the time of year and your location choosing shear clothing and light cotton will make it more breathable for your son so he doesn't overheat.

Garlic is also your friend. The fragrance given off by garlic has been used as a natural bug repellent. Spray canisters are available commercially to be sprayed (with the help of a hose) over the grounds of the daycare which will keep the bugs away but does require frequent (over several days) reapplications for optimal effectiveness. It may be an option you can recommend to your daycare as you probably aren't the only parent with children coming home with bug bites.

To treat the bites naturally, the age old application of ice over the bites is one of the safest treatments to help reduced the inflammation. This stops the child from itching and being upset by the pain and irritation.

Anti-histamines (Benadryl) are not usually recommended for children without their doctor's approval. So if the bites are causing interruptions of sleep, moodiness and lethargy, then you might want to talk to your son's doctor about appropriate dosage.

I had a lot of problems similar with myself and my daughter. We were told by a nutritionist to take massive doses of B1. B1 is a water soluble vitamin which is secreted through the skin. Mosquitoes don't like it, so they stay away. I use it every summer.

I'm a grown man, about 200 lbs and I take 100 Mg a day. I would suggest you talk to your pediatrician about how much for a toddler.