Sungirl :D asked in HealthDental · 9 years ago

If I get my wisdom teeth removed when they're smaller, do you use less pain medicine?

I'm 13 (almost 14) and my mom wants me to get my wisdom teeth out before school starts (ikes!). When my brother and sister got theirs out, my mom had to carry them out of the dentist because they were too loopy to walk. Theirs were larger when they were removed and so I was wondering; if i get my wisdom teeth removed when they're younger, do you use less pain medicine? and if I used less pain medicine, would I be less loopy? Please answer soon!! Thanks!

Favorite Answer

Usually the younger you are when you get your wisdom teeth removed, the easier they come out. This is because the roots haven't had time to become "calcified" or grow into the bone. It could mean that you don't require as much pain medicine, and so aren't as loopy, but it really depends on the habits of the oral surgeon. You'll have to ask him what kind of medicines he uses.

Having your wisdom teeth out is minor surgery. It can be painful and scary for some people and the dentist/oral surgeon want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible during the surgery and after you go home. He will talk with you before the procedure about what kind of pain medicine he will use and may also give you oral medication to use at home for pain. This is a good thing.

Don't be embarrassed about feeling loopy or helpless. Both the dentist and your mom want to take care of you and there is no shame in being pampered or even carried when you are sick.

I was 14 when I had my wisdom teeth removed and the doctor put me to sleep and then had to carry me out to the car after, but I was grateful that I didn't have to feel any pain or fear during the procedure. It hurt enough afterward.

Getting your wisdom teeth out will be a rotten experience, but it will be good to get it out of the way ASAP. Leaving them in can lead to more pain and crooked teeth. Besides, when your friends have to go through it in a few years, you'll feel like an old pro.

Good luck!

I had all 5 of mine removed 2 months ago. Luckily I received many diff types of pain meds. After they were gone I took Ibuprofen every 6 hours and Acetaminophen every 4. As far as eating goes; applesauce, soup, yogurt, Popsicles, mashed potatoes are the best. Stay away from things like rice and ANYTHING with seeds as this can get stuck in the wound. Hope this helps!