Looks like Jesus is a rip off from Krishna!?

From http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_jckr1.htm

"Author Kersey Graves (1813-1883), a Quaker from Indiana, compared Yeshua's and Krishna's life. He found what he believed were 346 elements in common within Christiana and Hindu writings. 1 That appears to be overwhelming evidence that incidents in Jesus' life were copied from Krishna's. However, many of Graves' points of similarity are a real stretch.

He did report some amazing coincidences:

#6 & 45: Yeshua and Krishna were called both a God and the Son of God.

7: Both was sent from heaven to earth in the form of a man.

8 & 46: Both were called Savior, and the second person of the Trinity.

13, 15, 16 & 23: His adoptive human father was a carpenter.

18: A spirit or ghost was their actual father.

21: Krishna and Jesus were of royal descent.

27 & 28: Both were visited at birth by wise men and shepherds, guided by a star.

30 to 34: Angels in both cases issued a warning that the local dictator planned to kill the baby and had issued a decree for his assassination. The parents fled. Mary and Joseph stayed in Muturea; Krishna's parents stayed in Mathura.

41 & 42: Both Yeshua and Krishna withdrew to the wilderness as adults, and fasted.

56: Both were identified as "the seed of the woman bruising the serpent's head."

58: Jesus was called "the lion of the tribe of Judah." Krishna was called "the lion of the tribe of Saki."

60: Both claimed: "I am the Resurrection."

64: Both referred to themselves having existed before their birth on earth.

66: Both were "without sin."

72: Both were god-men: being considered both human and divine.

76, 77, & 78: They were both considered omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent.

83, 84, & 85: Both performed many miracles, including the healing of disease. One of the first miracles that both performed was to make a leper whole. Each cured "all manner of diseases."

86 & 87: Both cast out indwelling demons, and raised the dead.

101: Both selected disciples to spread his teachings.

109 to 112: Both were meek, and merciful. Both were criticized for associating with sinners.

115: Both encountered a Gentile woman at a well.

121 to 127: Both celebrated a last supper. Both forgave his enemies.

128 to 131: Both descended into Hell, and were resurrected. Many people witnessed their ascensions into heaven."

Update:

That is not true, Matthew. Krishna was a god in India for a very long time before Jesus.

Update 2:

Sara, as atheist as I might be, I also love the Bhagavad Gita. and it is true that the message is different in a lot of ways. But some of those, like 30-34, and 128-131, and 27&28, seem like they are unlikely to be a coincidence.

Update 3:

@Anthony: there are conflicting stories about Krishna's life, just as there are about Jesus's life. This issue seems to have been pretty carefully evaluated. Nanda was just a friend.

Update 4:

Well folks, since I am a man of honour, I must admit that I found a website that discredits this research on the parallels between Jesus and Krshna. It really does appear to be baloney

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/richard_car...

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Funny, the wikipedia entry doesn't say any of those things about Krishna. In fact it says he had over 16,000 wives and yet I am supposed to believe he meets the parallel of being 'without sin.'

People have tried to create a link where there is none.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krishna

Oh, and what is this Muturea thing? Mary and Joseph fled to EGYPT with Jesus.

In addition to these bogus claims about the story of Krishna, look how the same logic could be used to say that Kennedy is based off of Lincoln 2000 years from now.

1. Both Lincoln and Kennedy were elected to Congress in '46 (1846 in Lincoln's case, 1946 in Kennedy's). Both became President in '60.

2. Both had lazy eye muscles which would cause one eye to wander.

3. Both had been skippers on boats (Lincoln on the Mississippi river boat 'Talisman' and Kennedy on the PT-109)

4. Both were the second sons in their families. Each lost a sister to death before becoming President. Both married 24-year-old brunettes who had been previously engaged to other men, and who spoke French fluently.

5. Both had a child die while living in the White House.

6. Both were related to U.S. Senators, U.S. Attorney Generals who graduated from Harvard, and ambassadors to the Court of St. James.

7. Both were acquaintances of a man named Adlai E. Stevenson who ran for either Vice-President or President, a doctor named Charles Taft and a man named William Graham.

8. Both were advised not to go to the place where they died.

9. Both Lincoln's theater box and Kennedy's car were altered for their benefit (Lincoln's theater box had a partition removed to accomodate his party, Kennedy's car had a raised rear seat)

10. Both were slain on a Friday before a major Holiday (Lincoln on the Friday before Easter, Kennedy on the Friday before Thanksgiving). Both were shot while sitting next to their wives and in the presence of another couple. Of the other couple, the man was also wounded by the assassin, but neither wife was wounded.

11. Both were shot from behind and in the head. Both of their wives cradled their husband's heads after they were shot.

12. John Wilkes Booth shot Lincoln from inside a theater, and fled to a warehouse. Lee Harvey Oswald shot Kennedy from inside a warehouse and fled to a theater.

13. Lincoln was shot while inside the Ford theater, in box 7. Kennedy was shot while inside a Ford automobile, in car 7 in the motorcade.

14. Both were pronounced dead in places with the initials P.H. (Lincoln in the Peterson House, and Kennedy in Parkland Hospital)

15. Both of their assassins escaped, and were killed before going to trial.

16. Both of their assassins were privates in the military. Each was detained after the shooting by a policeman named Baker. Both were eventually killed by a Colt revolver.

17. Both Lincoln and Kennedy were succeeded by southern ex-senators named Johnson who were born in '08. Both Johnsons were in their mid-fifties when they took the office and both suffered from urethral stones (the only presidents to have them). Both Johnsons could have run for re-election in '68, but chose not to.

• Sara
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

If you read the Bhagavad Gita, you will see Krishna as the charioteer encouraging Arjuna to go ahead and kill his relatives in battle.

That doesn't sound too much like Jesus.

I love the Gita, and the words Krishna speaks are as if he IS God, all in all a beautiful piece of writing.

The trouble with religious traditions is that you can also have similarities simply because major holy men who enter the world have similar life stories: the predictions given at their birth, the good parents, the period of meditation and fasting, the travels away from the birthplace, the disciples gathering, the teachings and parables, the miracles, and so on. It's the way holy men operate in this life.

Somehow, when I think of Krishna with blue skin, playing the flute and frolicking with the Gopis, I don't immediately say, hey that's Jesus.

But of course, you have made some good points here. Just be open to the differences, as well.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Jesus

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

And Krishna is rip off from similar Egyptian "god" stories. Also the "Flood" has been duplicated many times in many religions.

Matthew, Hinduism was around for hundreds and thousands of years before the joke called Christianity.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Krishna was the son of Devaki, and Vasudeva - no spirit involved.

He was born in a prison cell - no visit from wise men

His step father (Nanda) was a herdsman - not a carpenter

His mother thought his life was in danger, and with good reason considering that her previous offspring had all been murdered. So she had Krishna smuggled out of the prison cell. - No angels involved.

And so on. I suppose you got that from an atheist website, just like all the other phony "parallels".

• 9 years ago

Jesus is the True Son of God - Krishna is a false god. Satan acts like an angel of light why not his servants act like false prophets of false religions of the One True God.

But where is your proof for your similarities?

You are confused.

• 9 years ago

No. Krishna was invented to counteract the great success that Christianity was having in India.

• 9 years ago

Did Krishna appear to his disciples after his death? I don't think so...

Source(s): Catholic
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.