What are some different things that I can wear/pull off? (Details inside!)?

I'm 5'7 (long legs, small torso). I have dark brown, wavy, thick hair (it looks black) with side bangs. Very light brown eyes (they almost look hazel) and tanned skin. I'm not skinny, but I'm not fat either. I guess I'm normal? My current wardrobe is mostly graphic tees, jeans, shorts and hoodies. Most of my clothes are from Bluenotes' and Old Navy. I own 3 pairs of converse (one all black, one black with neon patter, one purple with princess kittens), silver sandals and tennis shoes. I'm not a girly girl, but I'm not a tomboy either. I'm sort of in between. I tend to dress really simply.

I'd like to start wearing some more... fashionable things? I know people say that you're not supposed to go with trends; rather go with what you like. The truth is, I like some things that I see other girls wearing, but I have three problems:

1. I don't know where to get it.

2. I don't know how to accessorize.

3. I don't know if I'd be able to pull it off.

The girls at my school are pretty thin, so they look good in pretty much anything. I don't want to put something on and look like a fool, while everyone else looks good. So, do you think you can help me?

Oh, and my mom buys my clothes, so she doesn't let me wear short shorts, or anything that shows too much skin. I also refuse to wear skirts/skorts... I just don't feel comfortable in them :/

Thanks so much and I'm sorry this is so long/confusing. I just really need advice.

The only problems I have with Aeropostale and stores like that it that their clothes seem really small. The last time I was found that a lot of their stuff was a little snug on me. Their clothes seem to be meant for smaller, thinner people. That's just what I've observed. :/

Favorite Answer

You're in HS now< I'm assuming since you're very tall. I think it's time you start shopping for yourself, when it comes to clothes. Go the the mall with your mom, but you choose what you like. If you want to get inspired, start browsing through fashion magazines, focusing on girls your age. They give ideas what they're wearing. As far as I know, the 70's are back, but Lola, Madonna's daughter is promoting the 80's are back. They all work for now, but that depends which fashion magazine you're reading!

I was a tomboy when I was growing up, and there's still a bit of that tomboy in me, because I like girly-girl, as well as tomboyish fashion only because I like the look on ME.

You can look like a million dollar without spending a million. Even millionaires shopped @ Target, Walmart, KMart. ~ Forbes

You can never own too many shoes. Many of the clothes that you find in EVERY girl, can be found @ Marshall, Ross, JC Penney, Old Navy, Goodwill, Forever 21, and stores like that.

If they sell them in your size, YOU CAN PULL it off, trust me. I've seen many 40-50 something women who dresses like they're daughters. Fashion means: wear what you like, have fun, and enjoy! Don't worry what people think. If you like it, wear it.

The rule here is: buy colors you love. Your favorite colors can go with just about any other colors of the rainbow. Go funky, elegant, wild, classic. Anything goes!

When I was in HS, I made 85% of my clothes, and I never look like the girls @ my school. I looked like someone who came out of the pattern catalog, and I get lots of compliments.

Source(s): I have over 4 decades of fashion savvy, dressing what I like on ME.
  • Tomra

Don't go with the mindset that you can't pull off certain kinds of clothes. The people who look the best in their clothing are the people who trust themselves and are completely comfortable with what they wear. Next time you see someone wearing something you like, tell them you like it and ask them where they got it. It's really simple.

Look for inspiration in magazines (I like W and Nylon, Teen Vogue mostly sucks but has some nice styles). Think about people you admire and look at how they dress. Finding your style should be fun and enlightening, so don't stress about it. One website you should try for ideas is stylelikeu.com. It's really great because they interview people of all shapes, sizes, colors and walks of life, and you get a really unique look at fashion that isn't shallow or materialistic.

Dunno what else to say, so here are some stores worth checking out:

americanapparel.com

urbanoutfitters.com

yesstyle.com

openingceremony.us

freepeople.com

modcloth.com

forever21.com

gap.com

Where what ever you feel comfortable in!

Here are some stores that i think you might like!:

-Forever 21

-Tilly's

-Target

-Wet Seal

-Delia's

-ZARA

-JC Penny's

-Kohl's

If your not sure how to accessorize your clothes look in magazines like...

seventeen

teen vogue

you can also look online at your favorite online clothing stores and see how they put there outfits together!

Just be yourself!

:)

h&m, forever 21, lookbook.nu.com. charloutte rousse.

i'm trying out a new style also, and people gave me advice on where to shop. forever 21's knit tops are what i like. but they're a little pricey. forever21.com

hope that helped. good luck<3

Step 1: buy cute tank tops from abercrombie and fitch, hollister, and gilly hicks.

http://www.abercrombie.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servl...

Step 2: pair the tank top with cute delicate cardigans from abercrombie and fitch, hollister, and/ or gilly hicks .

http://www.hollisterco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servl...

Step 3: get skinny jeans, jeggings, capris and/ or classic white, navy, or khaki shorts from hollister, abercrombie and fitch, and/ or American eagle outfitters.

*** if wearing classic shorts( not Jean) DO NOT wear Bermuda shorts, those look very bad and tacky. Try for 6 inches above the knee if your mom doesn't let you wear short shorts. You can get these shorts from aeropostal, they call them Bermudas but they really only hit half way up your thigh.I roll them up one or twice to give them that cuffed look. Knee length shorts/ capris look bad. So above the knee mid thigh for shorts, and mid calf for capris. That's the only way to go. Sorry.

http://www.ae.com/web/browse/product.jsp?productId...

Step 4: get preppy shoes such as flats, sandals, fashion boots, and sperries(boat shoes). From American eagle outfitters, dsw, ugg Australia, or any other places that sell shoes. Just follow these guidelines- no patterns, especially plaid. No bright or neon colors, go with neutrals and pales. No sequins, glitter, or sparkles. Mettalic is okay. Stay clear of zippers, they look trashy. Buckles are trashy too. Don't wear plane Jane shoes, but nothing over the top.

Stepb5: get your underwear and bras from gilly hicks and aerie. They have cute florals and no one wears hanes anymore. Victorias secret is okay too, Just don't get from their pink collection, is bright neon. Ehh.

Step 6: accessorize. Pearls or a simple silver necklace are good if you shirt, tank, or cartigan is elaborate, such as if they are floral. But if it's simple, like solid colors, you can wear a pendant necklace. A pendant necklace is a long necklace that usually ends at your belly button. At the bottom of the necklace there is a bundles of jewels or metel trinket. You can get your jewelry at charming Charley, forever 21, pacson, or american eagle. But only match your jewelry like this. Necklaces and rings together, and bracelets and earrings together. Never where earrings and necklaces, or all four together. Only use the combinations above! Haha, they look bad other wise and way over done.

Tips: the color navy is your best friend!

Abercrombie and fitch, gilly hicks, and hollister co. Are usually all expensive. If you wait for sales and use coupons, there stuff is at a normal price.

It's better to have a lot of clothes that you bought at a good price, then a few designer pieces that cost a fortune.

Forever 21 has cute clothes, and it's cheap.

Source(s): Hope I helped! I'm kinda preppy(::

Abercrombie, American Eagle, Aeropostale, Delias, Hollister. I really like those stores. (:

here are the stores where i like to shop:

pacsun

delias (they have really cute graphic tees)

abercrombie

aeropostale

american eagle

target

check this online store out http://www.jstars.ca/ they are a bit different from the norm

try forever 21 and target(:

try wearing stuff that suits your body shaape