What exactly is the Illuminati?

Hi, so I want to know what exactly the illuminati is! Ive googled it and heard people say its a group made up of people that run the governments and crap? I know its a conspiracy theory and probably not true, but what are people saying the Illuminati is? Please dont copy & past from wikipedia. I dont get what people mean when they say that the illuminati runs the world or stuff like that?

and why are people saying some celebrities are part of the illuminati? what the hell does the illuminati actually do?! At first i thought the illuminati were some spiritual crap.. someone please explain all this to me? thanks

xoxo

Best Answer

The Oxford Handbook of German Literature has an article on the founder of the Illuminati, Adam Weishaupt and this is actually on-line.

Start by researching him there. Notice he lived during the Age of Enlightenment. He set up the Illuminati to compete with both Freemasonry (which apparently he found 'boring') and the Enlightenment movement. He had a sizable ego and felt he and invited friends could compete academically and philosophically with such 'heavies' of the day as Voltaire and Rousseau. Weishaupt had been a member of the Society of Jesus (a Jesuit) and was a professor of Roman Church Canon Law. His group which was extremely provincial geographically as well as by reputation never established itself outside Bavaria. Within eight years of the establishment of the group it had a run-in with the Elector of Bavaria, Karl Theodor, who, in banning all secret societies within Bavaria, caused the demise of the Illuminati in 1784.

Fiction authors such as Dan Brown and rumour mongers enjoy over-using and abusing the name 'Illuminati' to convince the most gullible among us of all kinds of impossible conspiratorial schemes.

Source(s): Cross, F. L. and E. A. Livingstone (eds) - The Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church. New York: Oxford University Press: 1997, p. 820 Durant, Will - The Story of Civilization: Volume 10: Rousseau and Revolution. New York: Simon and Schuster: 1967, p. 507 Goring, Rosemary (ed) - The Wordsworth Dictionary of Beliefs and Religions. Hertfordshire, England: Wordsworth Reference: 1995, p. 239

According to the cranks on the internet, the Illuminati is a cabal of the world's elite. The most powerful, wealthiest, most influential people get together and decide which way they want to steer the world. Depending on who you talk to, it's a right wing conspiracy or a socialist left-wing conspiracy.

• Greg

In short: it was a group of intellectuals in Germany in the late 1700s, but it was disbanded more than 200 years ago. Everything beyond that is the invention of fiction authors and conspiracy theorists. No celebrities are members, because the group no longer exists.

• meat

The Illuminati were a political group that advocated the overthrow of European monarchies. They ceased to exist 226 years ago.

Source(s): I'm a Freemason.

Read the wikipedia page:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illuminati

There are several different Illuminati's (sp?) but basically the idea is that they are a secret society of individuals who run world events. It's pretty complex to explain because there are/have been several different forms of the organisation (both real and fictitious)

They control the world by manipulating people and events, e.g. funding terrorist groups, pulling strings so certain people get promoted or certain laws get passed.

That's how I understand it anyway, but tbh I don't know much and I'm probably wrong...