Christians, what are your thoughts on the book "The Golden Compass" (by Philip Pullman)?

Or any book in that series, "His Dark Materials" (eg. "The Golden Compass", "The Subtle Knife", or "The Amber Spyglass").

It's probably my favourite series of all time, or the "A Great and Terrible Beauty" ones by Libba Bray.

Fireball, what do you know? It'd be a shorter list.

I just remembered I have a Hindu friend who thought this series talked about killing God. She has an IQ of about 70 and hasn't read this series.

No where in the series does it even imply morals are subjective. You clearly haven't read them. Funny how you use someone else's review to explain your thoughts on a book you don't know anything about.

@Hee Jun: Me too! Or a knife that can let me go to other universes! :D

@Eric L K: Well, it does seem like the Catholic church has wanted to take over the world, in the past.

• .
    Favorite Answer

hello OA :)

(killer job on your avatar by the way (way professional), and killer screen name)

I have read the whole Trilogy, once I got done with all the books then I saw the movie staring Kidman and it was pretty decent but not as good as the book. The Subtle Knife was a little slow that was where the knife could cut into other dimensions right? then close behind them? it's been a long time. and then the the Amber Spyglass where the material was make out of the tree sap I believe. extremely creative some of the most Original work since C. S. Lewis and the Conicals of Narnia. I love the whole witches involvement and all that. totally epic series.

Source(s): non Christians

“THE GOLDEN COMPASS” SPARKS PROTEST

October 9, 2007

Catholic League president Bill Donohue discussed the league’s reaction to the upcoming movie, “The Golden Compass”:

“New Line Cinema and Scholastic Entertainment have paired to produce ‘The Golden Compass,’ a children’s fantasy that is based on the first book of a trilogy by militant English atheist Philip Pullman. The trilogy, His Dark Materials, was written to promote atheism and denigrate Christianity, especially Roman Catholicism. The target audience is children and adolescents. Each book becomes progressively more aggressive in its denigration of Christianity and promotion of atheism: The Subtle Knife is more provocative than The Golden Compass and The Amber Spyglass is the most in-your-face assault on Christian sensibilities of the three volumes.

“Atheism for kids. That is what Philip Pullman sells. It is his hope that ‘The Golden Compass,’ which stars Nicole Kidman and opens December 7, will entice parents to buy his trilogy as a Christmas gift. It is our hope that the film fails to meet box office expectations and that his books attract few buyers. We are doing much more than hoping—we are conducting a nationwide two-month protest of Pullman’s work and the film. To that end, we have prepared a booklet, ‘The Golden Compass: Agenda Unmasked,’ that tears the mask off the movie.

“It is not our position that the movie will strike Christian parents as troubling. Then why the protest? Even though the film is based on the least offensive of the three books, and even though it is clear that the producers are watering down the most despicable elements—so as to make money and not anger Christians—the fact remains that the movie is bait for the books. To be specific, if unsuspecting Christian parents take their children to see the movie, they may very well find it engaging and then buy Pullman’s books for Christmas. That’s the problem.

“We are fighting a deceitful stealth campaign on the part of the film’s producers. Our goal is to educate Christians so that they know exactly what the film’s pernicious agenda really is.”

http://catholicleague.org/release.php?id=1342

SCHOLASTIC PRESSED ON “THE GOLDEN COMPASS”; NO MORE VENTURES WITH PULLMAN SOUGHT

http://catholicleague.org/release.php?id=1357

NO SEQUEL TO “THE GOLDEN COMPASS”

December 16, 2009

Catholic League president Bill Donohue comments on reports that there will be no sequel to “The Golden Compass,” the movie based on the first book of a trilogy by English author Philip Pullman:

Two years ago, the Catholic League launched a boycott of “The Golden Compass” in the hope that Christian parents would keep their children away from the film and thus not be inclined to buy them His Dark Materials, the trilogy of pro-atheist books aimed at young people. We also wanted to discourage the possibility that producers would make a movie of “The Subtle Knife,” the second book of the trilogy. We knew we succeeded in the first goal, and had every reason to believe we were going to win on the second one. Now Pullman has confirmed our victory: there will be no sequel.

Pullman has been widely quoted in Britain taking aim at me for my alleged “triumphalism.” The accusation is accurate. I am positively gloating. Cheers, everyone!

http://catholicleague.org/release.php?id=1741

The Golden Compass? Horrible movie anyway, the author must have a deep hatred of the Catholic Church with that whole Magestrium organization portrayal.

"Well, it does seem like the Catholic church has wanted to take over the world, in the past."

Right, by being the sole source of education, culture and literacy itself for over a thousand years in the western world. We should be hated! Write more anti-Catholic books to us, hospice runny, poor caring scum!

Haven't read it.

From what I hear, the man has an overtly anti-catholic agenda so I don't see why I should bother to ever read or watch his work.

AWESOME BOOK

I want my own armor bear after reading it.

The Golden Compass, along with any other works connected to the “His Dark Materials” trilogy, are certainly anti-Christian both in content and intent. The advertising of this movie has been very misleading about the religious message it conveys. The trilogy, both books and presumably the movies, introduce atheistic themes gradually, luring children into the story as a way to slip in the message. Advertisements are comparing The Golden Compass to The Lord of the Rings and The Chronicles of Narnia. Pullman’s work is, morally, the polar opposite of Tolkien and Lewis. Scholastic has even created a school curriculum set, including all three books, as a part of public school reading programs.

Works such as these need to be contradicted, but only in a Christ-like way. At their core, the “His Dark Materials” stories are a fantasy setting for the atheistic worldview, where death is the end of everything, all morals are subjective, and any idea of God is a tool for evil. Christians should not respond in ways that play into Pullman’s stereotypes of believers as ignorant, oppressive, and bigoted. A polite response combined with truthful answers can turn the release of The Golden Compass into a great opportunity to witness for Christ’s sake.

The Case for the Real Jesus: A Journalist Investigates Current Attacks on the Identity of Christ

By: Lee Strobel

http://www.christianbook.com/journalist-investigat...