Moving to the states?!?!?

I'm currently 16, living in Canada and planning on visiting a friend in the states for longer then 6 months.

I have a few questions.

-Can i fly internationally at 16 without a parents consent?

-How can i stay in the states longer then 6 months without becoming an American citizen?

-How could i work in the states without being a citizen? Is this possible?

Is there anything else i should know?

It help alot :) Thanks.

4 Answers

  • bw022
    Lv 7
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    As a Canadian citizen you may visit the United States for up to 180 days. After that, you must return to Canada. You may not work in the United States without a green card (work permit).

    You need a passport to fly outside of Canada. Your parents must fill out a passport application for you. You can probably book a flight yourself, though paying cash will likely raise questions. Upon arriving in the US, US customs will probably ask a lot of question to 16 year-old traveling without an adult. They'll definitely want to know where you are staying, for how long, which who, etc. They'll also want to see a return plane ticket. If they here you are staying for six months, they'll be asking questions about school, your family, and probably holding you until the phone them. They recommend that minors carry a letter from their parents saying where you are going along with their contact information and that of who you are staying with.

    In order to stay in the United States beyond six months, you need either a student visa or a green card (work visa). Neither of which you can apply for at 16. When you enter the US, your passport is scanned. They may also put a note in when they expect you to leave. At the end of 180 days, if your passport has not been scanned returning to Canada... it is flagged and a warrant for your removal is issued. After this, you are banned from entering the US or applying for any visas for a minimum of five years.

    You need a green card (work visa) in order to work in the United States. You need to be 18 in order to apply for one and you need a job offer from a US company in specific fields.

    Presumably, if you are going this without your parents permission, they will be reporting you as a runaway. They'll know from your passport that you entered the US and they'll contact authorities there. They'll also pull your passport. Finally, you can't live in the US at 16. You can't get a US driver's license, you can't open a bank account, you can't rent an apartment, you can't deposit a pay cheque, you won't have health care coverage, etc., etc.

  • 10 years ago

    - If you are 17 years old or younger traveling alone you may not legally cross the US-Canadian border regardless of ID or notarized letter, unless accompanied by another passenger who is at least 18 years old. If you do not have your parents' permission, the person accompanying you will be committing a felony.

    - If you stay longer than 6 months you run the risk of being deported and barred from re-entry into the U.S. You also risk losing your health care eligibility in Canada.

    - You can only work in the U.S. if you have an employer-sponsor who is willing sign the required ICE forms and swear to take full responsibility for you and your living expenses (very difficult to come by)

    Your best bet is to apply to an eligible university and then apply for a student VISA (with your parents' PERMISSION).

  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

    i'm certainly moving a horse from Alabama to Georgia this weekend and additionally moving on from Georgia decrease back to Alabama.... little horsie swap! All i want is a modern-day coggins (I want withing 6 months) and a wellness certificates. some barns chosen to do a quarentine on all new horses to the barn (whether they are from merely down the line). And it relatively is an exceedingly solid practice. It secure guards the present horses on the power from any ailments the recent horse might have (whether the horse has a sparkling coggins). besides because it secure guards the recent horse, and provides it time to settle in earlier being positioned out with the different horses.

  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

    1) If you buy a ticket online you usually don't need consent.

    2) I'm not sure what the legal limit is but it's probably a lot shorter than 6 months.

    3) You can not legally work in the U.S. If you are not a citizen.

    Source(s): American Citizen
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.