What good are interrogatories?

I am an heir and suspect the representative of the estate has taken money from the estate. My attorney has asked for interrogatories and wants documents of financial information for the last two years from the deceased and the representative, who was also Power of Attorney. I don't think the representative will answer. I think the money is already gone or in his bank account. Am I just wasting my money on attorney fees? If he refuses to answer and I have to compel, would he have to pay my attorney fees in the state of Alabama? The representative has already lied in his response to our questions, so I am wondering if the interrogatory thing is going to do any good.

Favorite Answer

Interrogatories nail down the other side's story. They seek information that must be supplied under oath. Plus, they can be used o impeach witness testimony at deposition or trial. If they fail to answer you can move to compel or to preclude. Preclusion is important as they cannot offer any evidence that should have been provided in response to th iinterrogatory. Often judges will award attorney fees for motions to compel/preclude. Sometimes a pleading can be striken, thereby effectively giving the otherside a victory, at least to liability, without trial.

• WRG

The interrogatory is part of the legal process. It must be done if you are suing. They are also asked under oath so he he lies in their answers he is subject to perjury charges.

And yes you can include in the suit attorney fees.