Essay ideas? United Nations?

For a political science class i need to right an essay related to the United Nations work. Most people will probably choose peacekeeping missions so i'm going to avoid doing that. Any ideas?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Hi,

The United Nations is an organization of sovereign nations not a world

government. It provides the machinery to help find solutions to disputes or

problems, and to deal with virtually any matter of concern to humanity.

It does not legislate like a national parliament. But in the meeting

rooms and corridors of the UN, representatives of almost all countries of the

world large and small, rich and poor, with varying political views and social

systems have a voice and vote in shaping the policies of the international

community. The year 1995 marks the Fiftieth Anniversary of the Organization.

The UN has six main organs, listed below. All are based at UN

Headquarters in New York, except the International Court of Justice, which is

located at The Hague, Netherlands.

The General Assembly

The General Assembly, sometimes called the nearest thing to a world

parliament, is the main deliberative body. All Member States are represented in

it, and each has one vote. Decisions on ordinary matters are taken by simple

majority. Important questions require a two-thirds majority.

The Assembly holds its regular sessions from mid-September to mid-

December; special or emergency sessions are held when necessary. Even when the

Assembly is not in session, its work goes on in special committees and bodies.

The Assembly has the right to discuss and make recommendations on all

matters within the scope of the UN Charter. It has no power to compel action by

any Government, but its recommendations carry the weight of world opinion. Read more here:

http://www.oppapers.com/essays/United-Nations/3455

• 10 years ago

I'd probably write it on the UN Security Council - how it was formed, which countries are in it, what its function is, how it's influenced UN policy, as well as international relations (how countries interact with each other, such as foreign policy).

• 10 years ago

Alice Blair and Toyota have given you basic ideas.I can just add that its present membership is 193 and the last one is South Sudan

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

U.N

is

a

joke

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.