Does running a SSD in conjunction with a HDD really improve performance a LOT, or just a bit?

I'm thinking of building a computer in the near future, around Christmas, and I was wondering if using 2 hard drives (an SSD for Windows and programs, and an HDD for files) would increase performance. And if so, by what margin? Many times faster, or just kinda faster? All informative replies are much appreciated :D

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Person
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It'll make the OS boot much faster and respond much faster. It won't do much for the data on the drives, but doing anything with data on the SSD is going to be very snappy.

Alternatively, you could build a system using Sandy Bridge and a Z68 chipset board. You can put a smallish SSD on it (say, 60GB) and set up Smart Response in the BIOS. It will automatically use that SSD as a cache for your drive. The result is that you don't have to worry about cramming all your data on the SSD and that everything benefits from the speed increase. It's not quite as fast as native SSD performance, but it's pretty close.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Nunya
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

I've found that using a SSD for windows install only and installing anything else to seperate drive boots the computer about 30-60% faster and once the desktop is loaded, its usable alot faster.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.