Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsRodents · 10 years ago

Questions about hamsters?

Im planning on getting a hamster if my parents let me :/ I have a big fish aquarium I'm planning on putting it in without the water. O ya how long can a hamster live with a disease and if you do everything rIght will they still get a disease

8 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 4
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You can use an aquarium with a wire lid. Your going to have to find a water bottle that will stick to the glass. Why do you keep talking about a disease? They don't get diseases unless they get it from another hamster. So when you get a hamster check it out and make sure it looks healthy. The only thing I can think of is mites. Make sure your hamster doesn't have them. Talk to the pet shop person and make sure all of them are healthy and clean. If not go to anther shop. I post a great website below. It's everything you need to Know about hamsters. Have a good day.

• Tasha
    Lv 4
    10 years ago

if your using a tank its best to not get a syrian hamster (this is the big kind of hammy) a syrian likes to have a wired cage for more exercise. If your hamster has a disease he probably wont live for long, hamster diseases like 'wet tail' are expensive to treat and usually deadly anyway. The best thing to do is to research the foods that are bad for your hamster (like apple seeds, almonds etc). A hammy can get ill if you feed him too much fresh fruit and veggies as the water content may result in diarrhoea. Also newspaper, glue, tape and string are bad things to have near a hamster if your thinking about making toys. Hamsters need ALOT of exercise, the main way to get this is through an exercise wheel that usually attaches to the wires in a cage, since you have a fish aquarium you will have to buy a free standing one, this is a must.

Hamsters are hard work, you need to tame them which takes time and patience. They usually need cleaning out 2 times a week and they need a strict diet to prevent stomach upsets. This can become costly as you will need to provide your hamster with toys which can be expensive, the alternative is making you own but they only go so far.

A hamster can live for roughly 2-4 years so you need to be committed before you rescue one.

• 10 years ago

here's the thing i had a guinea pig and so did my too sisters. i took care of mine the most and it got a disease and even though i did everything i was supposed to it still passed away. one by one my sisters guinea pigs started to die as well. in march i got a hamster and i took care of it so well and did everything right until it caught some type of disease and wouldn't drink anything it eventually died from dehydration. what happens is u cant tell that they are sick until the last second and by then it is already too late. so yes even if u do everything right ur hamster can still get sick

good luck will ur hamster and i hope u have better luck then i did.

Source(s): past guinea pig and hamster owner
  • ICU
    Lv 4
    10 years ago

The most important way to make sire they don't get a disease is health and hygiene

This means they need

Exersizing daily

Clean food and water daily

A wheel in their cage

A ball

Cage Must he Cleaned weekly using specifically designed pet disinfectant

They must have everything else as well

THESE ARE NOT EASY PETS AND REQUIRE.TAMING, MONEY AND A LOT OF PATIENCE!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

if it has wet tail then it would last up to about 3-4 days maybe less, it depeneds on how bad it is. If you treat it real good then i guess it wont catch a desease but their small animals so their immune systems are weaker than others.

I had a hamster and the first week i got it, it died of wet tail. But thats becuase everyone in the house was yelling and trying to cuddle it so it got stressed out. :( but i got a new one and hes doing fine!!

Source(s): experience
  • ?
    Lv 4
    10 years ago

aquariums arent the best choice for hamsters but they are ok. And about disease...the only kind of sickness one of my hamsters has ever had was wet tail, which can be completely avoided by feeding them the right fruits and vegtables, and not too much fruits and veggies, and keeping their cage clean and making sure they are always grooming themselves.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Dwarf Hamsters (Winter Whites, Russian Dwarfs, etc.) Live about 1.5-2 years max.

Regular Hamsters ( Golden, Panda, etc) live 2-3 years max.

It depends on the disease. They could have one they caught from a hamster at the petstore.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

You shouldnt get a aquariam ...get a regualr cage cause the hamster needs air! and hamsters a very small so they wont last much witht he diseas

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.