Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

How do you compare 1 Thess. 4:13-17 and John 14: 1-4?

1 Thess 4:13 But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.

14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.

16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

John 14:1 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.

2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

4 And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.

***

• Cindy
    Favorite Answer

First, I think it's helpful to point out that the "mansions in the sky" thing is usually mistranslated (in the opinion of many, at least). The word translated "mansions" is really more likely to mean "rooms," which is by far more appealing to me. Who wants to live in their very own mansion, all alone? But this can be taken metaphorically, too. "My Father's house" is an often-used metaphor for the church -- the assembly of the called-out ones, or ekklesia. "In My Father's house are many rooms." If the ekklesia is the Father's house, are we not the rooms in whom He dwells? I do believe that this scripture can and should be interpreted literally, but perhaps the spiritual interpretation is even more important than the literal. But none of that really addresses your question. It's just that I couldn't help myself . . . .

"Those who are asleep": I think it's important also to point out that some believers interpret the "asleep" literally as applying to the state of consciousness of departed believers. They can be quite dogmatic about it. As for me, I don't know whether believers who have died physically are consciously present with the Lord or are unconscious and sleeping peacefully in His bosom, so to speak. It seems more likely to me that "who are asleep" refers to the way the departed seem to those who remain on the physical plane. They look to us as though they are sleeping. Because of other texts I tend to think they are conscious in God's presence though asleep to us, but I'd never part fellowship over a dispute on this matter. At any rate, their bodies are asleep and will not be raised until the event in 1 Thess. Perhaps God provides them with some intermittent "clothing" until the time when they receive (with us) their resurrection bodies.

So, I think maybe the question arises from the fact that Paul's letter says that God will bring the sleeping with Him when He comes for us, but then says the dead in Christ will rise first. The bodies of these sleepers will rise, for that is the part of them that is dead. He brings the soul/spirit part of them with Him. (Incidentally, the word "prevent" would be better in a modern translation if it were rendered "precede.")

In the John 14 passage, Jesus tells the disciples (all of them, not just the 12) that He will come again and receive them unto Himself so that they can be together. As we are aware, all of the disciples (except, according to some people, maybe John) have died or "gone to sleep" and their true selves absent their bodies are with Christ now. But He will come again and raise their bodies also. Plus, He's promised to gather the rest of us also, whether waking or sleeping.

You don´t compare, but rather you rightly divide the Word of Truth. These are two related subjects, and they are in unity of purpose for our edification, that we may have confidence and hope.

The one (John 14:1-4 although I would also had included verses five and six) Christ is telling His disciples not to worry or fret, to trust that He shall return.

The other (1 Thes 4:13-17) the Holy Spirit of Truth speaking through Paul is also telling us to have confidence and hope, and not to worry or fret as other´s do.

1 Thess. 4:13-17 talks about 2 nd coming of Jesus(Rapture) and eternity. John 14:1-4 also talks about the second coming of jesus and the eternity.

• cheir

They are addressing two different aspects.

You have failed to complete John 14 with the the explanation of what is 'the way ' which is Christ.

Thessalonians describes Christ's return - the manner of it and its consequences.

I think it means you'll be living high in the sky if you live in a Beverly Hills mansion. ..Or something like that.