Dody asked in TravelCanadaOther - Canada · 9 years ago

The United States and Canada?

How is Canada different from the United States?

I would LOVE to hear as many thoughts as you may have!

• Rover
    Favorite Answer

Politically... our head of state is Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. She is also the commander-in-chief of our Army, Navy and Airforce. The person under her is the Governor General who acts on the Queen's behalf when she is not in the country (which is pretty much all the time). The person under the Governor General is the Prime Minister, who is the guy we elect and actually does the work of running the country. So obviously we're still part of the British Commonwealth, and the majority of us are quite pleased with this. Also American politics is much more interesting. Watching an American election is almost like walking a beauty pageant. Whereas Canadian politics is very dry and boring, and Canadians don't have the mentality of people not getting along because they vote for different political parties (I'm referring to how it appears that in America a lot of Republicans hate Democrats and a lot of Democrats hate Republicans). We don't have that.

Economically... I'm not that up on economics, but I do know that our economy is more stable because our government has a lot more control over our banks than the American gov. does over American banks. Rules are a lot stricter up here when it comes to banking/loans etc.

Culturally... we love different sports. Americans love baseball, basketball, and football. Canadians love hockey. Canadian beer is better and Canadian food is better. I've travelled in the States a lot and I cannot believe how much salt you guys put in your food. I do believe Canada has just as many obese people as the States does though. Must be all the poutine...

It's hard to compare Canada to the USA based on culture, because Canada is very diverse culturally. First you have the French Canadians, who are... French. They speak French, they cook French, they're mostly Catholic, they drink more wine than beer, and they don't like English Canadians. Then there are the Martimers, who are really cool. The attitude is waaay laid back, they drink a LOT, they have very different accents (YouTube Newfie accents, then maritime accents). They have their own traditions, like how you have to kiss a cod to be an honourary Newfie. The Maritimers have a strong celtic thing going on too. Then there are the folks in Ontario, who are most like Americans. There are Albertans who are cowboys. There are two provinces between Alberta and Ontario, and they are poor provinces but the people are SO nice. It's like cowboy/farming country but without the cowboys. I'm sure there are cowboys but it's not like Alberta (which is like the Texas of Canada). And then there's BC. God love BC and all it's hippies. BC is the sole reason that Canada has any sort of hippie reputation. There are the territories up north and are pretty much full of Natives, and so they have various Native cultures. It's

If you spent a day in the Maritimes, then a day in Quebec, then a day in Ontario, then in the Prairies, then in BC, and then in the north, it'd be like visiting six different countries. The closest in culture are BC, Ontario, Manitoba and Saskatchewan (MB and SK are the provinces between Ontairo and Alberta). But it's just too diverse in culture to compare to the States.

But I do think there is one thread that runs through the entirety of Canada, and that is a certain mentality that we have that distinguishes us from America. America enters wars easily, and America has these MASSIVE prisons and has soo many inmates. America doesn't have universal health care, and the death penalty is legal in some states. I don't really know how to explain it, but it's like there is a certain harshness that we don't have. Canadians generally don't want to be at war, we want lots of social programs. We want to stop crime by having strict laws like gun control, which has worked quite well so far instead of jailing everybody, which clearly does not work. Unless your jails are like Norway's jails. We should move in that direction. Anyways. I guess we're just a bit more laid back.

And, hate to admit it, there is an anti-American sentiment. Some of us are so happy to not be Americans. Our non-Americanness is a big part of our identity.

Depends on which part of Canada. Alberta excluded, Canada is a much better place to live than the states. I personally think Atlantic, Canada is the best part of North America, but I've never lived in BC. I've heard great things about BC though. Overall I would say in Canada, the people are nicer, the quality of life is much, much better, and the health care situation isn't screwed up like it is in the states. Also, the Canadian dollar is safer than the American dollar. This is due to the fact that the central banks in the US i.e. The Federal Reserve are privately owned. While the Bank of Canada(it's own central bank) is owned by the people, and operated by government. This is also one of the major reasons that Canada only accrued a relatively small amount of debt(about 60 billion) during the 2008 financial collapse while the US sustained trillions in debt. Most of that debt it owes to its own central banking system. They use the treasury to borrow money from the central banks at interest, and the tax payers have to pay it back. It's brilliant really, but it makes for a whole lot of unnecessary suffering for a very large amount of people, and so that's why I say Canada all the way.

Source(s): I'm from the states, I've lived in Canada, and now I live in the UK.

Dody,

Canadians and Americans are very similar but with some differences. We Canadians have a democracy that perhaps Americans may aspire to but are not there yet.

The obvious is we have a health care system that takes care of all citizens.

Canadians live on average about 12 years longer than Americans, who have the worst age for dying of any modern country. You also have the highest rate of infant mortality of any modern nation, which was on the news this week. So much for your health care.

We allow gays in our military. I am one. I did SERE training at Ft Hood in NC, and never had a problem, but I think the US is not quite ready to accept all their fellow citizens in their so-called democracy.

Only the US, North Korea, China, and Iran have policies banning people with AIDS from entering their country. Not a real good list of pals there.

I have been happily married for 4 years to another guy, which will never be allowed in many US states that banned that specifically.

Our money is ridiculous with a bad photo of Queen Elizabeth 2 on all. I think our nickle with a beaver on the other side tells it all.

We have 1/10th the crime rate as Americans.

We enjoy the highest rate of children graduating from high school and going to university. The USA is 32nd of 32 modern western nations in high school graduation rate and college entrances.

Almost nobody is fat in Canada, whereas the USA are . . .

Citizens in British Columbia are required to wear flannel. Gothcha, dudes!

The Montréal hockey team has won more Stanley Cups than anybody!

The drinking age in most provinces is 18.

Although in Québec, at least, that is only a recommendation.

.

Source(s): Check any website about Canada and the USA.

I am from the USA. I hear that Canada, like most of Europe, has government sponsored health care for all citizens.

Canada fills my heart, and for those that prefer anywhere else I really wonder why?

• MattH

Hey TJ what's wrong with Alberta? You think cities like Winnipeg and Saskatoon are more desirable than Calgary or Edmonton? Ok... maybe they are better than Edmonton, but Calgary?

Anyways, English Canada is pretty similar to the US. There are slight differences between us culturally, but certainly nothing major. For the most part, we live pretty similar lives.

Our government in Canada is different. Personally I like the US style a little more, I think it's alot more representative of the people, but that's just me. I can't complain too much about our government, I just think it can get alot better.

Really, most of the differences are regional rather than national. Canada is really northern, so we have very northern traits. I'm from Alberta, I share much more in common with someone from Montana than I do with someone from Ontario or Quebec. Just like someone in Ontario shares alot more in common with someone from Michigan than they do with me.

Quebec is alot different than any other place becuase it's predominantly French. There's French communities as far west as northern BC, but in Quebec they are the majority. The maritimes have a different vibe to them too, but it's actually pretty similar to northern New England. Newfoundland is WAY different than the other places.

Other than that, us and the USA...we're like peas in a pod.

• b

bigger country but less population because the northern country( tundra) cannot support farms or agriculture.

1) Government is more like Britain.

2) They are still members of the British Commonwealth which replaced the British Empire.

3) They are bilingual English French and have a completely French province (Quebec)

4) Their culture is way more British than even the NE US.

5) it is almost twice as large as the US.

6) They have high tea.

7) They do not appreciate being called America's Northern state.

We have better beer and Rush.